What's everyone planting this spring?

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Loggyjens74, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Loggyjens74

Loggyjens74 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What is everyone planting this spring??? Brand? Type? Cough it up!!

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A concoction I named, "Spring/Summer/Fall mix". I bought all the seed in bulk and the first list of seeds mixed together.
    60 acres of spring lentils, spring forage pea, spring forage barley, spring grain barley, prosso millet, milo, sorghum sudan, group 7 soybeans, group four soybeans, sunflowers and wild flower mix.

Then five acres of red clover, five acres of white ladino clover and five acres of alfalfa. All these legumes will be mixed with 6# per acre of Orchard grass.

5 acres of standing corn, 20 acres of standing soybeans.

Then interseeding about 85 acres of it back into Crimson clover, winter pea, winter wheat and/or winter rye, forage brassica, tillage radish, sugar beets and purple top turnips along about October 15th.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  3. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Dang, Coveymaster's got it going on haha. I was pretty happy about my 1/5 acre of Imperial Whitetail No-Plow ;)

4. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We dont plant a whole lot in the spring. Most of our stuff goes in late summer

5. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Already have one ladino/alice and rye fall planting (last fall) fighting a battle with Yellow Rocket (a first for me). Thinking of either nuking it and then just broadcasting buckwheat into it to till under in July for a Brassica mix, or letting it go until around the end of May and mowing it down.

Second main strip is residual Brassica that is still 90% bare dirt from how hard they worked it this winter. However, there is also some YR coming in in spots there as well. Plan is to plant Buckwheat 2nd-3rd week of May, mow and till under by late August for clover mix (will do Ladino/Alice with rye), or Brassica's depending on what I do with the other strip (I always keep a cereal grain/legume mix next to a brassica mix).

No BOOG mixes, all seed will be bought from my Co-op or Welter's.

6. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love Welters also! Great company to work with!

I've also got some buckwheat to throw into the mix that I had on hand already, forgot to list that one. We already have five acres of ladino clover and a couple acres of alfalfa on the farms and we already did about 80 acres of plots and standing crops so the big acreage of plots is normal for us, we just increased them this year and I'm doing more of that diverse mix to cover all the wildlife better with an emphasis on quail restoration. Also will be working with a quail surrogator this year, hoping to get four released sets out this summer and fall.

7. scoot12

scoot12 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    winter rye and alice white clover in a long narrow 130 yard plot and antler kings honey hole and some radishes in my main plot which is about a half a acre. Scoot