Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by NRK9606, Jun 23, 2009.

1. NRK9606

NRK9606 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is my second year of archery. I started a little later in life now that I am 22. I am still very unexperienced, but I was satisfied with my performance last year. I got myself on a good amount of deer, but none in range. The one that I did have in range was a pretty nice 8 pt that had a spread about the width of its ears, I guessed it to be 2 yrs old. This is where I would like to see what someone else would do. This buck comes walking out probably 25 yards away and I pulled back and then as I am getting him in my sights he looks right at me. At this point in time I have a slight quarting too shot. I took it and missed low, what I was wondering is if someone else more experienced would have waited to see if the buck did know something was up or if they would take the shot like i did.

2. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've gotten away with shooting deer while they had spotted me but they (of course) are alerted to your presence. This increases the chances of them "jumping the string" which could result in a poor shot. I'm NOT a fan of quartering-to shots and therefore would have waited for him to present a better shot.

3. dukemichaels

dukemichaels Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would figure out why he saw me.. then not make the mistake again on the next deer.

Just be patient... wait for the shot you're comfortable with. Sounds like you weren't comfortable with the shot you took.. so next time wait for what you want.

4. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you thought you had a good shot then there was nothing wrong with taking it. It is better to shoot at unalert deer though if possible.

Like Duke said...I would try to figure out if there was anything about your set up (not high enough? need more cover? did you move?) that caused the deer to be able to notice you.

5. NRK9606

NRK9606 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input, it is likely that he spotted me because of the lack of cover. I knew this might be an issue but it was the only place to set up for these deer using this particular trail. I am hoping to get another crack at him this year. I know he is still around because I seen his rubs on a tree late rifle season and no one else hunted that spot. I know if he gives me another opportunity I will not make the same mistake again. One year later, one more year of experience.

6. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    NRK, drawing your bow and trying to go undetected is a very vital part of bowhunting. Believe me, I drew on deer and blew my chances more than a few times...I drew too early, too late, and not at all on various encounters with deer. If a deer is coming right at you or quartering toward you, you have to be patient. You sometimes have to let that deer walk right past you before you draw. Just wait to draw until the deer has his head turned away from you or when it is behind a tree or cover. Practice drawing quickly in practice, aiming small, then firing into the kill zone. After you get comfortable with that, start stopping the deer by making a sound that will cause the deer to stop but not spook. Then aim and fire relatively quickly to simulate a deer that is skiddish from being alerted. GOOD LUCK and I wish you great success this year.

If your tree has a lack of cover, climb an extra 6 feet or so, or to a total of around 20-22 feet so that you are concealed by being so high off the ground. That extra height will give you some more flexibility in your movement.