What Would You Do??

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by jmbuckhunter, Dec 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have a trespassing problem at my farm, but I do have a dog problem. I have spoken to a certain neighbor a number of times about his dogs running loose on my property and chasing deer. They still run anywhere they want.

Last weekend I saw a wounded deer hobbling on 3 legs in my woods. If I could have I would have put it down, but never got a shot. I checked my trail cameras yesterday and got a series of videos of 3 of the neighbors dogs attacking and killing this wounded deer. It was gruesome to watch and listen to with the deer struggling and bawling all the while the 3 dogs tortured it. I won't post the video, because it is that disturbing.

Should the dogs be shot or take the videos to the police? If I go to the police he will know who reported him and I'm not there all the time to protect my place from whatever retaliation he might take. If I shoot the dogs he won't know who did it and can't blame me personally.

I'm afraid that now these dogs have killed one deer they will be back for more. They probably wouldn't be able to kill a healthy deer, but I'm sure they could do damage to next years fawn crop.

2. DonMatzeder

DonMatzeder Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If it is illegal to let the dogs run off leash, call and report the dogs to animal control. If it is legal, and they are not damaging "livestock", there is nothing you can legally do.

3. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have posted enough times about dogs so that everyone should know I am all about dogs. But after talking to the dog's owner a number of times and being ignored then I would do either of two things. One would be set out live traps, catch them on my property and turn them in to animal control. After paying to get them released a few times they may not be loose any more. Two would be helping the dogs disappear quietly ;) . So, one of those two things and not in any particular order :) .

4. G-Street

G-Street Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We used to have the same problem as you and after telling the neighbor to kennel the dogs during the season twice we had enough. The dogs get don't come around anymore after getting a thumper to ribs. It sounds mean but there's nothing more annoying than having a dog ruin your hunt.

5. dprsdhunter

dprsdhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    After talking to the dogs owner i think I would talk with law enforcement to see what to do next.
    Plus find out where you stand if you shot them.

I keep my dogs up or keep them on my property. Granted at times they may roam off .
    Regardless of a neighbor warning me first if someone ever shot one of my dogs Id beat him half to death for it.

6. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  7. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How would you know who shot them if they didn't come home? For all you know they could have been hit by a car and died in a ditch somewhere.

8. rindynwil

rindynwil Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would use the three ( SSS ) Shoot, Shovel and Shut Up.

9. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would shoot your dogs and you would never know it. Snares set for "coyotes" are also effective. If someone has been warned, they have only themselves to blame. Dog owners have a responsibiltiy to themselves, their dogs, and their neighbors. Drop the ball on any one of those, and you can only blame yourself. I would only go to extreme measures for habitual offenders and giving up hope that the owner gives a crap. It sounds like this is the case in this instance. Most guys that care about their dogs, will keep them where they belong.

10. dprsdhunter

dprsdhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Should have phrased it something like IF I KNEW someone shot them.......

11. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We have the same problem. Had problem with one crazy neighbor until someone I know let them know he was 'certifiably' crazy from being in the war. Haven't seen his dogs for a cpl years now lol. Have 2 other neighbors that let their dogs run loose and chase deer off our property all the time. They have pretty much run them off our property all together now. I hear them running and barking thru the woods daily. I have a feeling there will be a lot fewer dogs around come next hunting season. Why does anyone need 12 dogs that just run loose?

12. Fuzz_27

Fuzz_27 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Uhhhh yeah, I like your style =]

13. Burnie

Burnie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sad to say, but if the owner does not take care of the problem someone will. Your farm is probably not the only farm the dogs are terrorizing. I had a problem with a neighbor who had two chows that did just as what you explained. I asked nicely, several times for the neighbor to deal with the issue. He refused. Needless to say another farmer shot one of the dogs and the other dog got hit by a car. I also had a neighbor who had a pit that use to run loose and would tear up my yard. I asked and even had to report the neighbor to the police. None of that changed the situation. What ended up happening was the dog started to chase my kids so i went out and let him charge me. When he got within 10 ft of me i shot him in the head with a 45 acp. The neighbor called the cop on me and when the cops arived they asked me if i wanted to file charges.

14. Krohboy

Krohboy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In MN if a dog is on your land harassing wildlife you can legally shoot it, and I have. It sucks but they were on my land more then the owners and he did not care.

15. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Choot em cooter choot em if you are hesitant to kill em try reloading some 12ga rounds with salt rock, it'll put the sting on em! Lots of the ranchers in these parts do this when dogs are caught running cattle.

16. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I dont think you could do much more then go to the neighbor and try to convince him to not let his dogs run in the woods.

17. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty sure I'd be doin some dog hunting. Now me having a dog myself and as a owner yea I'd prolly be pretty bent out of shape if somebody shot my dog, but over time I'd understand because he never leaves the yard without me and if he was doin something like terrorizing neighbors, livestock, or wildlife and a neighbors came and informed me I'd prolly shoot him myself. At the very least I'd make sure it didn't happen again, which is what a responsible pet owner should do. I had a problem like that year of two ago near my house. One neighbor had a dog that ran loose and tore up people's yards and would chase anyone walking by or near dog. The animal warden and cops got called several times and did no good. Finally one day while sitting around house I could hear my dog goin crazy and looked outside and this dog was fighting with mine, I quickly grabbed gun and stepped on back porch and shot couple times in air so it ran off. Thankfully my dog took care of himself and wasn't hurt and with me being kinds hot tempered I started walking toward the neighbors gun in hand. The owner met me at their yard yelling and threatening to call the cops, so I not so politely said go ahead and informed them that if I saw the dog anywhere outside their yard it was dead. Cops showed up and already having history with this dog basically jus told me not to shoot it if it was on their property and to call next time it was in my yard but with me living in bfe it would take them a little bit to get to my property and if I had to take care of it myself they'd understand.

Sorry if rambled a little ha

18. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    John, is this MO or IL? Not sure about MO, but in IL, I would call the game warden. Dogs harassing wildlife is illegal, and having video of them actually killing a deer, the DNR may take very seriously. I would turn them in, it's a slam dunk.
    As far as retaliation, I would take the chance. Dogs can destroy your hunting property in no time, I know first hand.

19. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Donate too your local china city Buffett.

20. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

I'd be VERY careful killing someone else's dog.......many people don't care much about them but for some people (like me) they are loving members of the family. You could call the cops on me 100 times and I might be pissed but there would be no end to my retaliation if you were to even hurt one of my dogs.......let alone kill one.

Having said that, I would never allow my dogs to run loose an be a nuisance...............just remember a dog doesn't know property lines so don't punish the dog for having a jerk owner.

As always try to keep perspective........sounds pretty dumb when you say you are gonna kill a dog because it killed a wild animal you are hoping to kill yourself.

It's just a deer dude.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.