What would YOU do?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by babyburb, Nov 17, 2008.

1. babyburb

babyburb Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    here is the deal. I am heading out this evening to go back to my lease. I took a personal day off work tommorow to get 1 more hunt in before rifle season opens this weekend. I have hunted my stand 3 weekends and here is the outcomes.
    1st weekend nothing first morning second morning cable stretched and shot over a doe and snapped the next pull, my hunt was over

2nd weekend , nothing first day, second morning very nice 8 pt with a 12 yd shot and clipped a twig

3rd weekend first morning a doe at 30 yds but no shot presented, next morning small 8 pt on the other side of property line

Duing the same weekends dad has encountered about 8 doe, spikes, small 8 pts and a massive 8pt.

Question is, should I go hang a tree stand in his neck of the woods or just go sit back in mine?

2. Txjourneyman

Txjourneyman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Are the woods the only difference? Is he more conscience of scent control and wind? Is he quieter getting in and out? Does he fidget less on stand? If all other things are equal and he is OK with it then yes, hang a stand closer to his area.

3. babyburb

babyburb Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nah, it's really the areas. We did not get on the lease until AUgust and spent an entire weekend scouting. He found a honey hole of a spot rIght on a creek where 4 trails bottlenecks into 1 to cross the creek. He is about 4 miles from me. He has a 4wheeler and I don't so I had to find a stand within walking distance of the camp, he did not. My stand is not in an IDEAL spot although there are 3 trails coming together into one. Starting late January I will be scouting like a mad man to sit up for next year.

As far as scent control, I wear a scent lock suit and use alot of the scent killer and although I only had 1 stand set up this year on this lease, the wind has luckliy been in my favor all three weekends. It's funny though cause the big 8 came in ON MY TRAIL going to my stand and was downwind the entire time and never spoked. He was within 8 yds of me for a while.

It's really an area thing and since I am going by myslef, I would be able to take my truck over there instead of having to walk and he doesn't mind at all.

4. babyburb

babyburb Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    He hunted it one evening this last week. His stand is by one of the roads going through this lease and he had 3 logging trucks, a guy on a gator, and a guy on horseback pushing cattle with 2 dogs and was screaming and cussing the entire time. Last weekend we sat up his double man stand for his wife and him to go hunt togehter and they did not see a thing. THere was a rub line and several trails there too, I just think he tried to hunt it too close from setting it up. His city slicker wife was probably a little figity on stand though!