What would be the harm?

Discussion in '2013 Bowhunting.com Deer Contest' started by CoveyMaster, Nov 12, 2013.

1. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sorry but I can't help but wondering something in regards to this contest. I don't bring this up and ask out of a need to stir the pot or cause trouble, it's just an honest question so here goes....

If a team has members that signed on for the contest and checked in but who refuse to participate in the team threads and taking deer...who also will not respond to repeated emails or attempts at contact from the team.......then why not allow team members who have open tags to submit extra deer to fill the irresponsible void left by the non-responsive team members. I'm not talking about active team members that actually hunt and don't connect...just the ones that are completely non-responsive. It's not the teams fault and there's really no way to prevent it tha tI can see, just seems fair to let legal team hunters fill the space on legal tags. Call it the Covey Clause or something.

For instance, I have tags for both MO and KS but am only allowed one buck and one doe entry for the contest yet we (appearently) have a handful of team members that very rarely post (if ever) in the team thread and have not made any obvious effort to post entries, take entries or are even hunting for all that is known. It's pretty rediculous when team members have taken the responsibility but won't even reply to emails and PM's. It leaves a hell of a spot of grief on both those on teams that are active and those that have posted entries and are doing a ton of work to do their part.

I know teams have these lackluster members every year but I just don't see the harm in allowing legal hunters more than one doe and buck entry to level the field. There's really no way to weed out the folks that want to be in the contest initially but never actually step up....those of us with legally open tags are probably going to fill them anyway, I don't see the harm in letting us take up some of the slackers jobs and making use of our efforts.

These entries could even be recorded when taken and stockpiled to be used at the end of the contest for those that deffinitely did not make any effort to participate. That would give those members every opportunity to come in and do their part at any time during the contest or show conclusive proof that they simply did not participate...which simply isn't fair to the rest of the team.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  2. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    or maybe replace them with someone who missed the sign up and really wants to be on a team :D

3. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm just in it to have fun and make some friends.

I understand where you are coming from but, the contest is about a team effort. You will always have no-shows or those who had unexpected things take them away from hunting. You will have those that aren't seeing any deer barely post on here because, they don't have anything to update.

I get what you are saying but in my opinion the contest should be about having fun and maybe make some friends. If you have a "crappy" team. Better luck next year.

4. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ^ Exactly.

This contest is for FUN! If you have teammates that don't respond, well, no one's fault but their own. I'm sure just about every team has one so not one team has the disadvantage. You cant force people to sit on these forums all day and respond to every post. I get that you're upset that some potential points aren't being added to your number but IT'S JUST FOR FUN!

Being able to shoot multiple bucks and use them would be completely unfair in my opinion seeing as how I am lucky to even see 1 deer over 120" let alone shoot it. There are guys on here that could shoot 5 a year no problem.

Just have fun and bs around like everyone else is doing and quit worrying so much.

5. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This isnt the championships for bowhunting ya know

6. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes this contest is for fun and it is a team effort...that is exactly the problem when it turns out to not be a full team effort it's not so fun. You're also right when those that don't respond it's no one's fault but their own...it's not the rest of the teams fault and nothing can be done to force them to not be slackers...the portion of the team that's participating didn't pick those members, can't remove them from the team, can't replace them with active people who want to participate, mods can't make them participate...that's the problem...it's their fault and nothing can be done about it to hold them accountable.

Not every team has them....

I'm not proposing that the guys that could take five bucks a year be allowed to submit that many but allowing voids to be filled by existing team members who have valid tags at the rate of one extra doe and one extra buck each to fill in holes in participation. Even allowing an extra doe would help close the gap.

Maybe I'm taking things too seriously, I'm competitive....but maybe some of you don't take it serious enough...obviously some don't and that's what I'm complaining about. Life is full of responsibilty and this one is voluntary, I find it reprehensable that someone would commit to any undertaking, even a contest for fun and simply drop out or not participate. I don't care about the guys tha tare hunting and just can't connect...it happens but to not show at all is disturbing.

7. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This I can agree on.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk