What type of release?

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by derik, Jul 25, 2017.

1. derik

derik Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey everyone,
    I'm in the market for a new release. I have traditionally stuck with an index finger wrist release. Thinking about switching over to a thumb release. What do you all use and what are some pros and cons in your opinions of each. I don't shoot alot of 3d or target so this will be used for hunting purposes mainly.
    Thanks!

2. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like a wrist release with index finger trigger, but was thinking about changing to a 3/4 finger thumb release with a wrist strap, I like it being attached to my wrist so I don't run the risk of dropping it

3. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use the wrist release with index finger "trigger" style too. It was just natural from shooting firearms for so many years. I've never tried a thumb release but I hear a lot of folks like them. I'm of the school, if it ain't broke, don't fix it so unless you have a reason to change, I'd stick with what works. I use a Tru Fire buckle foldback. Very comfortable and smooth...

https://www.amazon.com/TruFire-Fold...5&sr=8-3&keywords=tru+fire+release&th=1&psc=1

4. derik

derik Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I usually feel the same way.. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I just like the idea of attaching the thumb release to my dloop and having it ready to go as long as I'm not knocking it 20 feet down to the dirt.

5. Planopurist

Planopurist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I'm in the process of switching also, but I have a lot of work to do. I bought a tension-activated release, Stanislawski Element TL (3-finger) for training myself to shoot with back tension. I recently bought the thumb-activated Stan SX3 (3-finger) so that I could transition to it for hunting, but with the same mechanics of back tension from shooting the Element. It's all still a work in progress, but I've committed to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob W dislikes this.
  6. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I made the switch 2 years ago and glad I did. Currently I use the Scott Exxus 3 finger. I just got a Stan Just X and like it as well so far. What I like about the Stan is that it comes with a pin lock so that you can practice without the release going off. That will help you get used to it. Also in regards to dropping it. The releases I use click on the d-loop and hang there while I hunt. It much easier than trying to clip on the d-loop when a big ol buck is coming in. Just pick up the bow and grab the release.

I did not care much for the Scott Exxus Core. Its hard to get on the d-loop quickly in my opinion.

I also have a short draw length so the thumb trigger helps me to extend that as much as possible.

Let me ask this question as well. Whats your price range? That makes a difference but if you check forums and eBay you can usually find some deals with people that are dumping them of the next new thing.

So I would recommend the Scott Exxus, Stan Just X and have heard nothing but good things about the Carters. The Stan with the pin lock edges the rest out for me currently though.

Planopurist likes this.
  7. derik

derik Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the response. Good info. Why'd you end up switching a few years back? Anything around $100 give or take would be in my price range.

8. Planopurist

Planopurist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    $100 will likely rule out the Stans. I got my SX3 for more than that, used. The Carter/John Dudley Nock2It goes for like $200 new.

I too like the adjustability and the "trainer lock" (TL) of the Stans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donkey Deerz likes this.
  9. w1ckstar

w1ckstar Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have always shot with a trigger finger release then I made the switch to a thumb release last year. I don't know what it was but it threw me off and I wasn't shooting the groups I used to. This year I switched back and all is well again. I would also agree, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

10. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The dreaded target panic. I was rushing shots, slapping the trigger and even flinching. The thumb releases made a big difference for me. If nothing else it made me get used to a different release and clear up some bad habits.

11. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot the scott mongoose xt realease which is a index trigger style release. The thing I am sold on them about, my release was recently left out on accident and ran through a lawn mower. My release was bought back in 2015 and after talking to members on here they said Scott Archery would warranty it. Sure enough, I sent the old one back and am getting a brand new one for free ($100+ value) just had to ship the old one to them for $3. Yes, they knew it was ran through a lawn mower too! That's pretty good customer service if you ask me. Just wanted to throw this out there for future buying purposes!

12. Jeffrey Jones

Jeffrey Jones Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a Scott samurai wrist strap it's a 3 year old release but it still get the job done. They now have the echo out which is suppose to be a cleaner release so I will be upgrading soon but I'm kinda the if it ain't broke don't fix it type but yeah it's time to pull the trigger on an echo. Scott has great products all around the board though

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

13. derik

derik Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Wow that really is some amazing customer service! Those lawn mowers will get ya every time. Haha definitely something to consider when I make my purchase.

14. Simplman

Simplman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I switched this year from a Scott Shark wrist release. I felt like it never had the exact same fitment from shot to shot. It would sit differently on my wrist especially on warm day practices compared to cold day shots. I purchased a Spot Hogg Saturday Night Special. It's made my anchor points repetitive from shot to shot and made me a better Archer. Plus it's nice to clip on to the D-Loop and let hang while hunting. Whatever you choose, get a release that gives you precise anchor points from shot to shot and makes your shooting as repetitive as possible.

Tribeck likes this.
  15. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shot a wrist for years then switched to a handheld for the last two. Switched back to a wrist this year. I do this to help with my "target panic" issue.

16. Sir Lance 787

Sir Lance 787 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I know you said it was mainly hunting purposes but here's my 2 cents worth.

I go to a 3-d shoot with 4 releases, which one I shoot depends on which one feels more comfortable that day. I have big hands and haven't tried a lot of releases but Carter makes a great release. Price range is a little high. Each of the releases listed below were around $200.

My normal go to is the Carter Sensation. It's a thumb release built off the Carter Evolution. It's always the most comfortable in my hand. It has a half moon for a head so it won't just be able to stay on the d loop.

#2 is usually the Carter 2 Moons. Hinge with no safety. Helps when I start punching to correct my form but again a half moon design.

#3 is the Carter Honey-do. Hinge with a safety. Again won't clip on to a d loop but has an open head making it easy to put on.

#4 Carter Evolution. Pure back tension release. Usually set the weight 3lbs over holding and you have to pull to that Wright to get it to go. Great training release for someone who punches regularly.

With all that being said last year was the first year I ever hunted with a finger release. Normally it was my thumb release. I used the Scott Mongoose XT. The only reason I switched is I personally felt I got a better and more consistent anchor point, with a finger release, with my facemask on when I hunt. With a facemask on I couldn't really feel where my hand needed to be with a thumb release. I liked The design of that release, being that only one of The two jaws moved. One side was flat The other a half moon. With only one side moving less chance of the d loop catching one of The half moons upon release. The shop I bought the Mongoose at had it for $90 I believe.

17. Guns and guitars

Guns and guitars Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ive been using a Carter evolution for the last 2 years. Really like them. I was having flinching issues with my Scott index finger trigger release.

18. 27drawNY

27drawNY Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a tru fire wrist release... It was on sale for $40 and I don't have to worry about dropping it... I'm happy with it... I used the same release for the past twelve years and decided to treat myself since my bow was stolen and my old release was attached to it...

19. Ruttin1

Ruttin1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just switched to a thumb release this year after years of using a wrist release. Reason I switched was because it always felt different hunting with it than practicing with it. Once I'd put on long sleeve shirts, jackets, and gloves I had a hard time finding the same anchor point. The release was shorter than without all the clothes. While I never missed a deer because of this, I did shoot high on the deer because of it. So, switching to a thumb this year. Just bought a TRU Ball Max Hunter 3 and loving it so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Switched to a truball fang four this year because my wrist release was malfunctioning so I had an excuse to get a new release and I wanted to switch, I will say for me my shooting has gotten better but there were some tough days shooting with it just because I wasn't used to it. The fang four has a safety on it so you can clip it to the D loop but like you I have a fear of it falling off some how so I ran a piece of para cord through the trigger system and set up a self tightening knot and that goes around my wrist so if I drop it it is caught.