Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

What type of dog

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by jrk_indle84, Dec 9, 2012.

1. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've looked at a lot of these training videos and sites and noticed its mostly labs that are used. I have a blue heeler and he's had a old shed for a chew toy since he was a pup and whenever I let him in house the first thing he does is search house for the ones I have inside. I'm sure it's jus because that's what he likes chewing on but it kinda made me wonder what breeds of dogs people used for shed hunting. I'm not looking to turn him into one like said just curious.

2. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a German Shorthair, and he has had sheds to chew on since he was a puppy. Last year, he found a matching set of sheds while we were out. I take him shed hunting all the time just to let him get out and run, but he seems to like sheds quite a bit. I was carrying them, and he came up and grabbed one out of my hand just to carry it around.

3. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just got a German Shorthair a few weeks ago, he's 16 weeks today and I will definitely have him on sheds. I'm a little hesitant to have sheds all over the house, we have a 3 year old son and the last thing I want is for him to fall on one and get hurt while playing with the pup. I also watched a video of a guy who's young black lab got jabbed by a point will retrieving a shed and she wouldn't go near one for the next 6 months so Im in the process of figuring out how and when to work him on sheds. He is incredibly smart and has a great nose though so I think it will be fun. I would say any dog with a good nose and a desire to learn will find sheds as good as the next pup.

4. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have 2 german shorthairs also and have been using antlers off dead deer or road kills for a few years. They seem to be their favorite chew toys and last forever. Havent been able to get them out much looking for sheds as our land is 3 hours away and gets winterized so thats a lot of driving for a walk.

5. RackHunter

RackHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My parents have a Labradoodle which i use for shed hunting. And believe it or not shes damn good at it! I have a couple of videos of me training her which ill post once im back home in a few days.