what typ of sights to get

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by chris wright, Feb 19, 2014.

1. chris wright

chris wright Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I'll be headed to the bow shop to pick up my new bow. I don't know if I need to get a single pin or multy pin sight. I will be hunting deer, tturkey, coyotes and anything I can sling an arrow at. Does anyone have some good pointers on which one to go with.

2. john128652001

john128652001 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Albany, NY living with the Yankees but from N.C.
    I would go with at least a 3 pin sight set a 10 20 and 30. I myself like 5 pins set at 10 20 30 40 50 yards.

3. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Personally I like a single pin for simplicity and a clear sight picture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just remember to move your single pin to the correct yardage setting when hunting...errr...not that I ever forgot to do that lol

5. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 5 pin, set to 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60. The only thing with multiple pins is to shoot the correct pin for the yards. I was at 60 and used the 50 pin by mistake and ripped a fletch off when it hit the ground well before the target.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Infuse 4G

6. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like the 4 pin sights. No reason for a 10 yard pin.

7. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

^what he said^

8. Great White

Great White Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Same but in metres.

9. jlathigee

jlathigee Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Single pins are great, I always used hha's due to their bright pins. But lately I've been digging my multi pin hog it . To each their own though. Sights are one of those things that really call for the individual liking.

10. Zweibarrt

Zweibarrt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Some years ago, I put the 10 yd pin on a 22 yd buck, and watched the arrow sail under his belly. This story does have a happy ending. 15 minutes later another buck walked down the same trail. I killed that one. My two arrows were sticking in the ground next to each other. One bloody, and one just dirty.

I shoot single pin. You can learn the trajectory for your pin setup so that you automatically adjust the elevation for different ranges.

11. beaubowhunter

beaubowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot the Axcel Armortech HD 5 pin on my hunting bow, in combination with a Doc's Choice Lens by Clear Targets. There are many different views on whether a single pin is better vs. a multipin. I like the capability of being able to shoot a different range without having to adjust before shooting. It is a tough sight that can take a beating during hunting season and is micro adjustable. I like that I can have the arrow flying exactly where I want it to. It is an Axcel and I know that when I release and arrow at an animal, it is going to hit just right where I wanted it to. I hope you find what you are looking for and good shooting!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396234005.756444.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396234022.612956.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396234038.699051.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396234051.993765.jpg

www.axcelsights.com www.clear-targets.com

12. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Check out HHA or MBG. They make multi-pin sliders

13. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Multi pin sights are what I go with. For me I have 3 fixed pins: one for 0-20 yards, 30 and then 40. Also, the diameter of the pin can aid or hinder your accuracy, especially at longer distances. Some prefer .029 (inch) diameter pins which is generally the largest diameter most sight manufacturers make. I prefer smaller (aim small miss small) and will opt for .019 diameter pins. If the sight I have could go down to .010 diameter pins I would.

14. Alissa Kay

Alissa Kay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I started out with a multi-pin and switched to a single pin and I love the single pin way more then multi. I find I'm able to shoot more accurately and focus better on the single pin. But to each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. sittingfox

sittingfox Newb

Dislikes Received:
    once you decide how many pins you prefer, another important factor to throw into the ol'decision making
    mix chris is pin brightness during low light hunting situations. you'll find not all fiber optics are created equal.
    here again we all see things differently and have preferences ~ mine are black gold sights. amazing low light
    brightness that dosent blob up to my 50 yr.old eyes.

16. hunter76

hunter76 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    well I use PSE Brute X because I can hit my target sharply when I go for a hunting this bow power makes my day. I found it here compoundbowhq you can look.