What to plan and when?

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Sticknstringarchery, May 16, 2011.

1. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have one plot planted now that is Evolved Harvest Shot Plot. It is doing well but, I have another area that is a good 2 acres or better that I want to plant something in. Deer cross this area all year long. I am thinking about doing clover later this year. Last season my neighbors had corn planted but, it doesn't appear they will plant it again. Everyone else around has and they haven't done anything to their fields. I want something on my property that can attract them and or hold them a little longer on my property. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks, everyone.

2. buckdeer1

buckdeer1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    either do a clover wheat mix or wheat if you want just a hunting plot or do a clover on 1 acre and wheat on other.i also have a mix that has forage soybeans,an annual clover,oats and small % of turnips that covers it all.What state are you in

3. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Its been a while since i checked this. I am in NC.

4. MD hunter

MD hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    you cant plant 1 acre of beans, the deer will make them vanish in 5 days.

5. scooters

scooters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would plant a winter rye blend like the Antler King Fall/Winter/Spring mix end of of summer. Deer will feed on this all fall and winter. Next spring it will be the first to grow and at the end of mid spring you plow it under seed oats and sprinkle clover over it and will be feed all summer into late fall.

6. MichiganYoungBlood

MichiganYoungBlood Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    oh ya iv heard of that trick. i did it one time. you put a lot of effort into a couple of acres into beans and watch it all go away in about a week.