Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

what strings and cables to get

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Vabowman, Jul 8, 2024.

1. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    3rd year on my vxr and now need new cables and strings. I had Barn Burner put on when it was new but they stretched a lot in my opinion so I won't go with them again. I would like to find a set that will settle and not move after 100 shots or so.

2. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Catfish, Vec99 ... put it on my SR350 a few months back.... yes, its slick at first and takes getting use to, holds color great, but some colors might bleed slightly (no, biggie, the deer will never know) .. I use the Gillingham peep tie method using Halo .014 and it hasnt budged... going on 2 years on my Elite Ritual 33 and it hasnt budged on it either ... Catfish offers other materials also if one dosnt like the texture of Vec99

Vabowman likes this.
  3. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    I keep hearing good things about catfish

4. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am an avid Catfish Customs string user as well and they are my main preference.
    I have a used bow that came with a set of Threadz on it, they have been a great set as well.
    I have read of several people having trouble getting timely delivery of A3 strings, several threads on another forum about that, and I personally would avoid them.
    String material. I have used 452x quite a bit, x99 quite a bit, and have had one set of vec99.

452x is a great string material. It will just get fuzzy a bit sooner than the other two types, but it has been very stable for me.

x99. It is very similar to 452x but will go longer without getting fuzzy and I prefer it on my hunting bows that I drag through quite a bit of brush when elk hunting every year. I have to say that even though I really liked my vec99 set, x99 is my favorite overall.

Vec99. Every bit as stable as 452x and x99 IME but goes a LONG time without getting fuzzy. It does leach darker colors into lighter colors, a dark string color will even leach through a lighter serving color, so be aware of that and plan colors accordingly. The coating on the string is very slick and the "Tim Gillingham" peep tying method (1/2 hitch method) is highly recommended. Very easy to tie, nice and clean looking, and I feel it is the best method out there for not letting the peep move. But, it is a bit tedious to remove when the time comes, especially if you do all 4 legs.

5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    America's Best has never let me down, and I've had a set on every bow I've owned in the last 8 years or so. They have the best warranty in the business in case you do ever have an issue. I started out with the Platinum strings, which are now the Premium Ultra, and am now running the Launch strings on my Lift.

As mod said - the 452x will get a little fuzzy after a season, but that's never been an issue for me. A little wax will keep that at bay, and 90% of the string is wrapped in serving these days anyways.

Use promo code BOWHUNT20 to save 20% on your order. :)

6. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Gas bowstrings. I put on my VXR. In January. Very pleased in 6 months I’ve shot over 450 arrows thru. No strech.

Vabowman likes this.
  7. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    I went with Gas freakshow this time. Going to see what they are like

Last edited: Jul 10, 2024
  8. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    BC Custom Bowstrings
    Twisted X
    Hooked Up Bowstrings

Hoyt Helix
    Hoyt RX1
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder ZT

9. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have used a bunch and there’s a lot of good companies. ABB, twisted X, Gas, Catfish customs, Threadz, 60x. I currently have gas and catfish on my bows.

MUDSHARK likes this.