what state would you want to own hunting property in

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Cameron DeMiguel, May 17, 2018.

1. Cameron DeMiguel

Cameron DeMiguel Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys so been saving up to buy a little working ranch to live on to move out of California home of the s*%t bird liberals. I have decided on moving to Wyoming or Midwest, eastern or southern state that has good whitetail populations and has a long season. Also I want to live in a state that I can get tags over the counter if I am a resident. I want to plant food plots. And I also want to run a trap line as a hobby. Also I want to live in a pro 2nd amendment state. What state would you want to own a ranch on and why. Anything helps, thanks

elkguide likes this.
  2. Black Hills Hunter

Black Hills Hunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    WY, MT or ID.mountains, elk and snowmobiling.

3. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ND!!

Sleeper state!

Riverbottom land.

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Minnesota, hunting land here you can enjoy deer, bear, grouse, and waterfowl hunts. Good fishing close by as well as 4 wheeler and snowmobile trails.

NSlenczka likes this.
  5. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If he wants to do food plots MT and ID are both out. Food plots are illegal there.

6. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It honestly depends on what species you want to be able to hunt. If purely Whitetail, Then Iowa/Kansas/Ohio would be my top picks. If you want to have multiple species to hunt, then you will have to stay more western. Nebraska has some really cool parts, and whitetails, muleys, 3 subspecies of turkey, antelope, elk, and Bison. Wyoming is Gorgeous. I go there every chance I get. There is actually some good whitetail hunting in NE and SE parts of state, as well as obvious other western big game species. Colorado probably has the most species available to hunt of any state. I love it there too.

7. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Minnesota gets my vote as well. People who have not been to or lived in Minnesota don't really understand how much this state has to offer. Best of all worlds. Excellent hunting, agriculture, numerous world class fisheries, ATV/snowmobile trails everywhere, and an abundance of different game to chase. Deer, bear, pheasant, turkey, grouse, ducks/geese, and trapping galore.

8. Cameron DeMiguel

Cameron DeMiguel Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just don't want to be moving to another California. But I'm definitely gonna look into it. What part of Minnesota

9. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Granted Minneapolis/St. Paul are VERY democratic and liberal... Most rural parts of MN are Republican and very pro 2A. I'm an roughly an hour north of the Twin Cities and almost everyone is pro 2A. I live in a rural farming community where I have access to all things I listed in my previous post.

The more north you go, the better it would be for what you're looking for. I would say Brainerd and north has everything you are looking for.

10. Cameron DeMiguel

Cameron DeMiguel Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The one time I was in Minneapolis Minnesota at the university of Minnesota I was at the Jay Robinson 28 day intensive wrestling camp

11. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oklahoma. Great land prices, wide open spaces, pro 2a and 40+ 200" bucks shot last year. We are quickly becoming one of the top 5 whitetail states. Plenty of free hog hunting, great bbq and friendly people

dnoodles, JGD and w33kender like this.
  12. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This was hit by a car right down the road from me. No, it's not a high fence buck. 20180102_162733.jpg

grommel, JGD and elkguide like this.
  13. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've heard great things about Okie, for sure.

Okiebob likes this.
  14. D. Davis

D. Davis Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have been looking into Kentucky. You can hunt deer from the First of Sep to Mid Jan, it is a sleeper state for big deer also. When I retire that is where I will be settling.

15. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    more important than hunting look at weather the state gets. don't move to nw pa unless you want snow for 6 months. don't move to a state that has a couple of great bucks. move to a state that has a lot of good bucks. plus look at public land opportunities. I doubt you will move to ohio and waltz right into private land.

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  16. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    NW PA for me. I heard there is some good public land up there for me and my Crossbow.......:poke:

17. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    haha. anytime. I'm preparing to have another long drought. every time I kill a big one it seems to be three years or so before the next one. not to say I won't see big ones.

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  18. Simplman

Simplman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’m a Kansas resident and love my state! I live in Kansas City, not a lot of public land around the city. But you can buy tags over the counter. The season starts mid September, and you can plant food plots or throw corn all season long if that’s what you’re into. The cost of living isn’t outrageous and you can drive 30 minutes and be out of the city. Land prices ranging from $2100-$2500 an acre where I’m looking. Good luck with the decision. -Simplman-

BwD19, Shane0709 and Okiebob like this.
  19. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would think Kentucky would be a great place to look. Minnesota has very long winters and the only other season is mosquito season. Kentucky has mild winters, good deer, and great fishing. For me, I would like to look out West where I could hunt bear, muledeer, and elk in addition to whitetails. If you want the very best whitetail hunting first and foremost, you will not find better than Kansas or Iowa for trophy potential and low pressure. Bottom line, anywhere is going to be better than Cali.

scarps23 likes this.
  20. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well NY is out. It's got lots in the positive category but it's getting worse everyday

grommel likes this.