what size vanes?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by grommel, Mar 29, 2013.

1. buckwild41

buckwild41 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Blazer, quick spins, NAPs, feathers, vanes, helical, off set???? It all comes down to what works for you. No question in my mind helical controls better than others. Control comes from surface area, which is not only size but surface design. Feathers control over plastic, they have more surface area per inch. However feathers can be noisy and don;t like hunting in the rain. But I don;t hunt in the rain so not a big deal for me. Noise on the other hand no so good. Tried the Razar feathers last year and so far so good. The best of both worlds, small relatively fast feather, good control and little noise.

2. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The most important thing I am seeing missed here is bow tune. If your bow is shooting lights out bare shafts, it's not going to matter how big or small, how much helical or how stiff the vane. My bow and this goes for everyone I have owned in the past 3 seasons have shot blazer vanes with fixed heads dead on with field points and the same goes for QuickSpin vanes. They may not have at first but, by the time I was ready for the woods, they all had the same POI. Right now as long as the head is the same weight as the field point I am using, it will do the same.

In the end, they all do a great job if the set up is right.

3. G-Street

G-Street Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the same feelings as buckwild41 except for one point. I shoot a 4" shield cut feather for hunting. My jig is a straight clamp style jig but I put all my feathers on with a small amount of degree angle to act like a helical type function. This helps add spin as well as cut down on the noise. To me, a 4" feather with a small amount of angle is perfect for using a big fixed blade like I do.

4. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks to all you guys who answered me, also I will be heading to upstate new york may for my first ever turkey hunt. Hope the PSE Stinger 3G does the job,GR

5. Ky Bob

Ky Bob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    2" Blazers with right helical.

6. Deanh90

Deanh90 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im using 2" Twister vanes right now and they are working great! Haven't shot anything longer than 2" though