What should I get for a new camera?

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by HuntMaine, Aug 31, 2016.

1. HuntMaine

HuntMaine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I have a buyer for my Canon GL2 that I've been using the last few years. It's now time to upgrade, but I'm not 100% sure on what I should do.

My original plan (and still am thinking I'll stick to this plan) was to buy a Canon G30, but now I'm wondering do I buy a 4k capable camera i.e. Sony AX33/53?

I definitely want 20x zoom, and LANC remote (or Sony version) capable, and manual controls as well.

Anybody have any input? Any other cameras to look at?

2. wibowbros

wibowbros Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    4K is a good call...if you have the dough go with the Sony AX100, huge sensor for great depth of field and low light video. You might be able to find a good deal on EBay. If you don't wanna spend that I'd go with the G30 over AX53/33.

3. Billy Pulsifer

Billy Pulsifer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Since I don't need 20x zoom pretty much at all I went with a hf g10 on amazon. I got one of the third party buying options and it was $569. For $690 I was able to get a full package (minus muddy arm) fluid head, canera, 2 32G cards, shotgun mic, hotshoe adapter, lanc controller, the works.

What's nice about 4k tho is it literally takes 4 videos at one time, so if the deer or what have you is centered in the lower left 1/4 that can be brought to full screen without sacrificing quality. It really makes editing a synch.

My second choice was the g30, but for the extra money for zoom it wasn't necessary for me. The g10 has outstanding low light capabilities which was more important to me since the magic usually happens when it's still light in the fields but darkening quick under tree top cover.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

4. HuntMaine

Dislikes Received:
    That's what makes me think I should go with 4K, and since it's the latest and greatest tech too.. But I definitely want the 20x zoom if I don't go with 4K..

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I really like videoing in 4K for a couple reasons. Down converting a 4K image to output in 1080 will give you a much better picture than video that was recorded in 1080 natively. Also, the ability to film at a wider angle and crop into the image if you are outputting in 4K gives you much more flexibility and allows you to be more creative. You can do motion pans or zooms in post as opposed to doing them with the camera.

Sony's 4K cam's(AX100 or PXW-X70) will be 12X optical zoom, but they have Clear image zoom which is a near lossless zoom. In 1080 it will equal 24X optical zoom. In 4K, it's about 18X. They can do this because they are using an over-sized sensor. I film with the PXW-X70 and don't have any real complaints, but it is a pretty pricey rig.

6. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I got a refurbished G30 this year to replace my G20. It works well so far. In regards to the 4K you also have to consider what you will be editing your video with. That also will have to be able to process/convert the 4K. Just something to think about.

7. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    That's a very good point. You need a pretty solid system to handle it.

8. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Another possibility would be this camera. JVC GY-HM170UA 4KCAM Compact Professional Camcorder GY-HM170UA I can't speak from experience on it, but seems like a lot of bang for your buck. 4K recording, professional audio controls and a free shotgun mic. This seems like an awful lot more camera than the G30 or the AX33 or AX53 for a very similar price point.

9. MistaWondaBread

MistaWondaBread Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Skywalker is spot on with 4k, but don't use 4k as an excuse for poor camera work! I see it happen all the time, and then we end up spending 2x time editing it because they said "ah we can fix it in post".
    Editing 4k is a beast of an operation, and even with my small super computer, it's really slow when I have to stabilize footage or do color correction or motion graphics. But I do feel it's worth it, and it is future proofing to an extent, although once 4k becomes more widely adopted, we won't be able to down sample any more, and 8k will be the next step:-( That's technology for you though!

I'd recommend the Canon, moreso than anything else. I've used them, and they are so impressive when it comes to low light. I'm not a fan of the JVC, simply because the audio sampling I've heard isn't that great, but I'm also a perfectionist when it comes to audio, after all, it's 50% of video;-)

10. HuntMaine

Dislikes Received:
    A big part of what has me thinking against the 4K is if my computer can handle it. I have a HP laptop that is only a couple of years old.. I think I'm going to go with the G30 or even the G40, from what I read about them they are great cameras and put out great quality. I'm not looking to go professional with this, just to make my own short films. I've been filming for the last 4 years or so but I am limited to what I can do with it because of the old technology.

11. MistaWondaBread

MistaWondaBread Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't forget that you need the software to be able to edit 4k as well. Can you post your computer specs?

12. HuntMaine

Dislikes Received:
    The software is another thing I'll have to dive into as well...

As far as specs, I'm at work right now so I don't know off the top of my head. I do know it's an HP Envy laptop, I'll look for the rest when I get home.

13. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Check out the Blackmagic Davinci resolve 12.5. It's a fully capable editing software and by the way, it's FREE :)

Blackmagic Design: DaVinci Resolve 12

14. HuntMaine

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Skywalker I'll look into that!!

15. HuntMaine

Dislikes Received:
    Well I finally ordered a G30 from Canon's refurbished website today! They are on sale for $599 and I couldn't pass that deal up!
    Also sold my GL2 this morning for $325 so I made out well! Can't wait to get it and put it to use.

Now to get some editing software, and a new LANC remote.

16. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hunt maine I beat ya by 1 day. I watch the cannon site all the time and couldn't resist the price tag of 599. for the hfg30. And I still have a perfectly good working hfg20. Problem is I bought the g20 when it was just out to the tune of 1500. oh well now i got double the gear to carry. I'll have to grow some more arms. Its supposed to arrive thurs. And i leave fri for a wk end deer hunt at my place in western ny.

17. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    And a gL2 isn't that a tape machine? If it is this new beast is gonna blow your mind.

18. HuntMaine

Dislikes Received:
    Yes it is in fact a tape machine!! That $599 price tag was too good to pass up for sure!

19. txbowhunter13

txbowhunter13 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have the XA20 you'll really love the G30! What I don't like about 4K so far is it's all at 30fps. Give me a 4k option with 60fps and I'll be happy but until then it's not too bad of an option to leave out.

20. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Oh, you can get it, just gonna cost ya. I moved away from filming at 60 fps, and moved to 24 fps as it is a cinematic standard and it's what we are used to seeing as pretty much everything is outputted at 24 fps.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
Tags: