What should I do?

Discussion in 'Bowhunt or Die® - Web Show' started by Janderson, Sep 27, 2021.

1. Janderson

Janderson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm up in west central MN and I hunt some hills that's mostly grass but I'm in the process of letting trees grow and fill out a shelter belt. I consistently get really nice bucks on camera early season and into October, but almost exclusively night time photos. It seems as when the rut starts all the bucks clear out and will not show up until late season. Anyone have any tips going forward or things I can do to help hold mature bucks?
    Thanks in advance.

2. fowcbler

fowcbler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome...
    Quick question, what do you mean by "hold" mature bucks? If they are there, early season and late season, all your missing are the Does for mid season.

3. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the forum!
    Just throwing out a guess(without topo or map) I would say you need to create bedding. Consider switchgrass.

In Venatione Veritas

4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you need to find someplace else to hunt.

5. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Natural food sources (browse, fruit, acorns, etc), water, or security... Get the does and you'll have the bucks.

oldnotdead and BB1 like this.
  6. Lina Roth

Lina Roth Newb

Dislikes Received:
    There are a few things you can try to attract and hold mature bucks in your hunting area during the rut:

1. Food plots: Planting food plots with attractive crops such as clover, soybeans, or corn can help keep deer in the area during the rut. Make sure to plant food plots in strategic locations near cover and bedding areas.

2. Scent control: Mature bucks have a keen sense of smell, so taking steps to minimize human scent in the hunting area can help attract and hold deer. This includes using scent-eliminating clothing and soaps, hunting with the wind in your favor, and avoiding unnecessary disturbance of the area.

3. Trail cameras: Use trail cameras to monitor deer activity and determine where bucks are traveling and feeding. This can help you determine where to place your stands and how to hunt the area effectively.

4. Decoys: Using realistic deer decoys can help attract and hold bucks in the area during the rut. Set up decoys near food plots or in areas where you have seen deer activity.

5. Scents and calls: Using deer scents and calls can also be effective in attracting bucks during the rut. Try using doe-in-heat scents or grunting calls to simulate the sounds and smells of a receptive doe.
    Remember, hunting mature bucks during the rut can be challenging, but with the right strategies and preparation, you can increase your chances of success. Good luck and stay safe!

7. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think it's white tail solutution. He details land set up. Heres my take on it
    Build your land like a sandwich. Start at the top and look at the layers.
    Top bread = boundaries and roads access
    Lettuce = food plots, mast trees
    Onions = cover around food. Hinges, mast bushes, small trees
    Tomatoes = doe bedding
    Cheese = more cover trees mast brush
    Meat = there's your buck
    Bread your now back to access and space between borders
    So how you arrange your sandwich on the plate depends on prevailing winds.

8. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    OP is long gone guys but useful info none the less

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

9. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    just noticed the date of the OP, but ....

plant food plots if possible to hold the Does, the bucks will then come looking ... unless it is a sizeable chunk of property, bucks have a fairly large travel range during the rut (think of miles), and most will have a sizeable home core range ...