What scope to get?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by headstrong, Sep 30, 2012.

1. headstrong

headstrong Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Been doing research on scopes I would like to get. This gun will be mostly a hunting rifle but will do some long range targeting with it. I just sold my 300 rum and will be buying a savage weather warrior .308 with accutrigger and accustock. Sold it because of the price of ammo. I will be able to shoot the 308 way more and get better with it than the 300 rum. IMO of course. So now I'm looking for a scope. Thinking about a 6-20x50 or something like that. Would like to send $300-$500 of couse the cheaper the better but I'm willing to spend the $500. What I have been reading... Millet TRS-1, Clearridge ultra xps 5, bushnell 4200 but I dont think they make those anymore, and Vortex Viper. Anyways would like some input on these scope and other scopes. Best bang for the buck is really what I'm looking for. Also since goolge doesn't really let you search gun gun thing. Where can I find some good prices on these scope. ebay, midway, buds?

2. Polecatmasten

Polecatmasten Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How far (long range ) most optics are get what you pay for.
    If you go with a 20x, make sure it has a side focus or some way to adjust for parallax. I have a 6x20x50mm with a 30mm tube Leupold varmint reticle.
    Bushnell coyote is also a good one for price. No problem shooting 500-600' with either.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

3. okdeerhunter

okdeerhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Vortex is the only scope I'll buy any more great customer service an good glass for the price

4. NebraskaDeerKilln

NebraskaDeerKilln Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ive got a 6-18x40 on my. 223 m77. Works great on prairie dogs out to 500 or better. I have a whole cabinet of rifles all topped with BSA.

5. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    i am hearing a lot of good things about vortex these days... i'd stay away from buying used or on a site. i'd like to have my glass handed to me right over the counter, just piece of mind that im the only owner. just me. lastly i always follow the rule spend at LEAST half of what you spent on your rifle, on your glass.

6. Polecatmasten

Polecatmasten Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree..new glass for me, only exception is if its a friend and i know he takes good care of his equipment.
    On the price..would much rather have $200 rifle and 500 in a scope

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

7. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you plan on hunting with it I don't feel you need anything more than 10x unless it's a varmint gun. I've killed deer at over 400 yards with a 3-9x40 power scope, and coyotes at just about 400 yards with a 1.75-6x32 scope. 50mm objectives don't do anything other than add weight as well.......people think they add light but that only occurs above a certain power which you aren't going to do at night anyhow (no one shoots a 20x at night).

I'd pick up a 3.5-10x40 Leupold VX3 and call it a day. While you might find another scope for less with similar quality glass (maybe, probably not though), you certainly aren't going to find another scope that will allow you do dial with the turrets for windage and elevation and return to zero every time. That's where a Leupold is going to show it's value........and to be honest if your serious about longer range shooting your never going to get very consistent until you learn how to dial.

8. davidmil

davidmil Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There is a bit of MIS information in this post. Available light transmission is a result of two factors.... power and Objective lens diameter. Divide the objective lens diameter by the power and you get the light transmission factor. Example, the militarys favorite for ever is the 7 X 50 binos. Divide 50 by 7 and you get 7. Crank up the power to 20 and divide th 50 mm objective lens by that and you have a factor of 2.5 The human eye cannot make use of a factor over 7. Just the way our eyes are built. That's why mini binos are so sorry in low light. You can have all the power in the world but the objective lens captures the light. Take a camera out just before dark. Try zooming in on something. You zoom in... you can not see as much as if you zoom out. So back to your statement of no shoots at 20X at night... of course not... your light transmission factor is way to low. Dial that baby back to 7 power with that 50mm objective diameter and you'll see.

9. dj-skyy

dj-skyy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ditto...got vortex on all my rifles....customer service is top notch also!