what makes a broadhead crossbow specific?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by the mechanic, Jan 30, 2011.

1. the mechanic

the mechanic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i might just be missing something. is it something obvious im just not seeing? or is it a marketing scheme? can they be used on compounds without negative effect?

2. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing, that I'm aware of.

3. the mechanic

Dislikes Received:
    so basically its a marketing scheme then. just goes to show you people will buy anything as long as you label it correctly, or incorrectly. whichever the case may be.

4. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No different than the FPS rating of many top bows. Say it shoots "this fast" and people will by it for the sole reason that it shoots "that fast" even when it really doesn't. Hey, "expand your killzone" ;) .

5. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Most hunters/archers are not the brightest group of people in the world, MANY of them are easily influenced by seeing Chuck Adams or Tiffany Lakosky on an advertisement, and will buy that product because of that person. While MANY of us aren't that easily swayed, there are a great many that ARE as well, and that is the beauty of such marketing.

The only thing that might be different is the diameter of the ferule because MOST crossbow bolts are larger diameter than our arrows we shoot out of our hunting bows, but I'm doubtful that this is the case.

6. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Tiffany's pushing a new product? Where do I sign up?! ;)

Seriously... good answers above. The only thought that came to mind, much like Doug's, is that sometimes the shorter-bladed, lower-profile heads seem to induce a little less wind-planing -- and seem to get touted as "crossbow" heads moreso than others. But, like Doug said, even this is a bit of a stretch...

7. KodiakArcher

KodiakArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Higher initial speeds and shorter arrows make for a system that doesn't stabilize as well as a traditional arrow. The smaller head diameter helps to mitigate that. Also some mechanicals can be deployed by the inertia generated at the shot, coming off the deck of a crossbow with really bad consequences. If I shot a mechanical out of one I'd be darn sure it was "crossbow safe".

8. the mechanic

Dislikes Received:
    so if i take the same logic, about the stabilizing, and put one on my arrows(assuming the fit the diameter of my arrows, most dont. i have the ST Epics) it should help my arrows stabilize faster? i know that probably wont happen, but it couldnt hurt to try right? and im talking strictly about fixed blades for that purpose.

9. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes... the smaller or lower-profile heads do stabilize more quickly than their larger-bladed counterparts. Put more accurately, they're less prone to planing -- hence the proliferation and popularity of such heads as Slick Trick and the Muzzy MX series, among others.

What makes those last couple brands mentioned particulary attractive to some is they exhibit lower-profile blades overall, but retain their cutting diameter -- so they're damaging just as large an area as they slice through an animal.

10. octhereicome

octhereicome Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    what about that g5 striker mag thats supose to be for crossbows? thats 1 1/2in

11. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    From what I've seen the trend in "crossbow" heads has really been geared more towards the increased weight of the head than anything. Most of your broadheads marketed as being for crossbows are at least 125 grains, often times in excess of 150 or 175 grains. The new FOC from NAP is a good example. 170 grain expandable designed to be effective when used on a crossbow. but that certainly doesn't mean it can't be used from a compound in the right setup.

12. the mechanic

Dislikes Received:
    ive seen that head, its the one thats got a 3" cut right? id bet youd have to be pushing some serious FPS to push that through a deer though. but i see your point, pretty much same heads just heavier. got it.

13. Cedar

Cedar Newb

Dislikes Received:
  14. DropTine249

DropTine249 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They're sold in gun stores ;)