What kind of bow is this?

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Barrett50cal, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Barrett50cal

Barrett50cal Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have no experience with archery or bow hunting and a friend gave me an old bow of his for free. I'm eager to learn more about it but everything I have seen regarding the types of compound bows available doesn't seem to apply to what I have. Can someone tell me what kind of bow this is? There are no markings of any kind and it doesn't seem to be set up the same way that other compound bows that I've seen. Is this just a really old bow? Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. J.H.

J.H. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    yes, that is a really old bow. I really can't say what brand or model, but steel cables and four wheels puts it in the '80s i'm guessing. ( maybe older)

3. Invisible man

Invisible man Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe an old Oneida

4. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  5. Barrett50cal

Barrett50cal Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input. I had a feeling it was old (It was free after all)..But it shouldn't be an issue for me to use since I'm just starting out, should it? I'm really just looking to use it for target shooting and don't plan to hunt with it...I know there have been tech upgrades over the years which could provide some value but I'd rather not spend the money just yet.

6. macsolocam

macsolocam Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just depends if it fits you or not, to measure your draw length take your finger tip to finger tip wingspan and divide it by 2.5

Then if you want to know the draw length of the bow since there is no markings just nock an arrow and draw it back as far as you can/as far as cams will allow, (probably will feel kinda spongy) and have a buddy sharpie the arrow where it hovers over the grip....

If its close to your draw and you can draw the weight comfortably, shoot it, it's free after all. But be careful when steel cables go THEY GO

"Couldn't think of a good Signature"

7. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot it like you stole it! It looks like a 1980's bow but could still get the job done.

8. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Looks similar to the bow that I started with a couple of years ago. If the draw length and weight fit you than yes, it will still be able to put deer down.

If it were my bow, I would start with removing all the stuff bolted to the riser like the old school sight and the over draw.

Start out with getting a whisker biscuit arrow rest, a new sight, put in a peep, (you will need one that uses the silicone hose to center it) and some arrows that are long enough to shoot from the new setup. Personally I would grab some Beman White Box arrows to get started with.

Sent from my VS500 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

9. Barrett50cal

Barrett50cal Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for your recommendations. Trying to figure out what components I actually need has been overwhelming. May have to pay a visit to a local shop here soon.

10. Barrett50cal

Barrett50cal Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My thoughts exactly..Thanks for the input

11. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Another good resource is the Easton Tuning Guide. It's a PDF that can be downloaded. Just have to Google where to find it

Sent from my VS500 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

12. Barrett50cal

Barrett50cal Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I appreciate the info... Are there any indicators that I should look out for on the steel cables to determine what kind of shape they're in? Do they even replace steel cables anymore?

13. macsolocam

macsolocam Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Unfortunately it is very hard to find steel cables online, and you will not most likely find them in a bow shop. Really we tell people to enjoy em, shoot em, but they aren't worth much, and if they go you won't be able to find replacement cables...

As for the shape they're in... You can't tell much since they're wrapped.

"Couldn't think of a good Signature"

14. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Pretty sure it's an old PSE

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/24/a4a3y8a3.jpg

15. Barrett50cal

Barrett50cal Newb

Dislikes Received:
  16. rossragan

rossragan Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely not a Whitetail Hunter. Cam and pully system completely different. Whitetail Hunter allowed you to change the bow by moving the position of the riser pully on its mount.

The photo of the whitetail hunter does not show the cable threaded over this riser pully as it should be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
Tags: