What is the weirdest thing you came across in the woods?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Slugger, Mar 23, 2014.

1. wags1

wags1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Afew years ago, I went in and got a climber all set up for the next mornings hunt. I went in the next morning before daylight, walking along the bank of the river. About 9:00 AM, a couple of coondogs that somebody had left out started running around the area, so I came down and started walking out (back along the river) Now remember, I had gone in before daylight,and NO vehicles had gone up the gravel road just a short piece away from the river !! As I was walking pass a large sandbar on my side of the river, I heard something that sounded a bit like mewing coming from the sandbar.. Looking over there, I saw a bedsheet on the sandbar and the sounds were coming from it !! I naturally assumed that someone had dumped some kittens before I went in that morning, so kept on walking UNTILL the hand came out from under the sheet, followed by about a 40ish woman!!!! I asked her if she were ok and she replied that she was a little cold, then crawled back under the sheet ...... Drove into town to the sheriff's dept. ,talked to them and they sent a deputy down to check things out, They later called, told me who she was, and evidently there was a beer bash not too far away the preceding night and hubby must have gotten a little pissed and left her

2. Jimi

Jimi Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My neighbors have horses and like 10 years ago one went missing and last year we found a giant skull to the horse about 400 yards from the barn. Not sure what happened to it

3. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It probably died...:lol:

Blarney22 likes this.
  4. ruttin2

ruttin2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Kinda what i was thinking to. Ha

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

5. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had a big tree frog jump on my shoulder last weekend. We looked at each other for a few minutes, and he jumped away.
    It was awesome :)

6. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not in the woods, but i. A driveway.

I pulled up to the land to hunt well before sunrise. Do my normal routine stretch out of the truck and start the grueling task of grttimg dressed. Darker than dark, uncles faint porch light through the trees is faintly shining through.

Hear something and not thinking much of it, have a pair of socks on and getting ready to slip on pants. Hear something again a bit closer, no big deal, dark of jight always brings out the what ifs. Pants on getting ready to put on boots. Stir in the rocks, OK, there is sometuing out here with me, but not sure what. Boogie men don't exist, just get dressed.

Continue getting dressed, moved to the passenger side of truck now loading gear into pockets and getting the jacket ready. Another heavy noise, now I'm starting to get excited.

Softly shut the door so the inside lightnis out and my eys can try to adjust, another sound and this time closer. Start seeing the faint white of a skinny body but not sure I'm seeing it right, scratch amd scrape, yeah I'm seeing and hearing something about 15 yds away.

White patch getting brighter and bigger, coking directly at me. Not going to scream, but where the hell wil I run?

Now about 7 yds away and I'm full fledge heart race mode, phone flashlight is last resort.

The perpetrator, uncle bought a horse during the off season, how would I know? :lol:

[​IMG]

early in likes this.
  7. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for the mispellijg, not going to go back and correct all that :lol:

8. bucktail30

bucktail30 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I stumbled upon a pile of burnt cow parts last year. The neighboring farmer must've had a handful die and didn't want to send them to the dog food plant. Pretty gruesome scene.

9. stl_commuter

stl_commuter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I was bow hunting for elk in Colorado a few years ago and stumbled on this engine in the middle of the woods. Later found out a plane crashed in these mountains in the 80's. Legend is they cut up all of the plane pieces and hauled them out via mule, but the motor was too large to move, so they left it. Pretty spooky.

Aircraft Engine.jpg

10. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was shed hunting with my buddy and he and his wife just found out the sex of their baby that morning (a boy) and while shed hunting we came up on a deflated blue balloon that said congrats on your baby boy. It was pretty cool!

11. DickensCPA

DickensCPA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Junior or Senior year of high school I did something and was grounded. My Dad owned a very successful construction company from 1964 until he sold in 2010. I didn't get summer, Christmas or Spring breaks, I worked for him. One Christmas break I was grounded but work was out due to weather. Someone had stolen a lowboy to haul large equipment from my Dad's business.

I sneaked out with a couple of buddies to hunt a county or two away. In the woods just off an old logging road, my Dad's lowboy was dropped in the woods being hidden. I've always been a numbers guy and had the tag memorized. So I had a dilemma, tell Dad and he's so happy I found it that he foregoes punishment for being out and grounded.

12. Jimi

Jimi Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    not sure what caused it's death

13. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I know this is an old thread but I just thought of a story told to my by a friend of mine. Seems he was night fishing right below the creepiest cemetery in town, ironically enough it's call the odd fellows cemetary. He was fishing at midnight when he heard some splashing in the water. Thinking it was a fish on one of his lines, he turns and sees a guy coming up out of the river. He comes up out of the water and walks right past my friend without saying a word. He just walked right into the cemetery and disappeared. Needless to say it creeped my buddy out and he packed up his gear and got the heck outta dodge. I still laugh when I think of that story.

Blessings..........Pastorjim

14. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would when I was around 12 years camping in the woods with my brother and neighbor being woken up about 4am hearing somebody yelling HELPPPPPPPP. A Drunk had stopped his car to get out and pee, wandered a little into the woods and gets lost, next thing he is 3/4 mile through a swamp running into a creek that he can't cross. when along come a handful of cops looking for him of course on the opposite side of the creek from the drunk.

thankfully they didn't look in the tent and see the beer us three minors had with us.

15. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Probably stopped breathing...just a guess.:evilgrin:

16. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

Better warn the horse, in the previous story, it died!

17. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Any new finds out there?

18. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There are a ton of old homeless camps where I hunt, they all seem to have been abandoned for a long time. But boy oh boy I still hate walking through them at night. I'm always finding odds and ends, coolest thing so far was an old moonshine still with big bottles laying around and hidden in holes under a big stump. (all empty unfortunately :) )

But whenever I hear something stir in the camps, it makes me jump!

19. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    When I was maybe 20 years old I came home from college around Thanksgiving. My moms boss allowed me to hunt a farm. He drove me to the spot in the pitch black and told me to walk into the woods and hunt. LOL. I had no gps, compass, or map. Within the first hour of sun-up I killed a decent 6 point. I got twisted up and had no idea where the hell I was...no cellphone. Nothing. I drug that damn buck all day long trying to get out of the woods.

About noon I was still dragging that darn thing down some powerlines when I met two country boys straight out of the movie Deliverance. Buck teeth, inbred, smelled of booze, and cursed like sailors. One of them said, "man you see those does running around, looks like I could stick my whole hand up their " *****". At that moment fear took over my body and gave me the strength I needed to get the hell out of those damn woods.

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  20. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    "Where you goin city boy?"
    [​IMG]