What is the story behind the reason you got into archery?

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Bow String Depot, May 10, 2013.

1. WytRhino

WytRhino Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Did lots of archery in Boy Scouts growing up. Then got into a little bit of trouble that caused me to lose
    my firearm rights, so bow hunting is my new passion.

2. Meat Hunter

Meat Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    my wife, bought me a little horton summit 150 crossbow for christmas, i opened it up, she looks at me and says, go get me some venison. Practiced a year with it and did. Nothing like learning everything you can about deer hunting at 40 and on the fly. So far, so good.

3. BOWDADDY64

BOWDADDY64 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well for me I saw this great movie called Deliverance and was hooked LOL. Saved my chore money and bought a Indian Archery compound, was one of the first in my area to be so forward thinking. Self taught archery, shot bare bow and fingers for years. Have spent the last 30+ yeras fighting this wonderful addiction! And BTW it's bow only for me, gave up the easy gun ways for a challenge.

4. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My entire family has always been hunters, so I was raised with it in my blood.

Archery back in the mid 60's was not something very many folks did. I remember watching a Fred Bear hunting show where he was hunting deer with a recurve when I was 8. After seeing that show I had to try archery. In 68 I got my first bow at age 9. A Sears’s fiberglasses recurve that had a 30 LB draw at 24 inches.

I started bow hunting in 75. By then I had graduated to a Bear Polar 2 six wheel compound that I shot bare bow style. I took my first deer (a spike) with it using a cedar arrow with a Zwickey broad head in 76.

5. PA-Legion

PA-Legion Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My roomate in college lives on a 200 acre farm. He's only ever rifle hunted so one day we both decided that were going to dive into archery hunting and the rest is history! now we have game cameras and tree stands all over that farm! Its safe to say that we both are addicted to Archery hunting, its a high that i really cant explain.

6. foothill hunter

foothill hunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    A few years ago i tore my Rotator cuff in my shoulder , after it healed the physical therapy was excruciating and boring , i got a childs bow from a friend and found it was much more fun than sitting in a therapists office , redhead Toxik 60 pound 28" Easton Gamegetters and muzzy phantoms going out through a whisker Bisquit , going on my first hunt this fall into an archery only area where i have been hiking for years and the wildlife is abundant, hope i can keep it together for my first hunt got the license the tags and the areas with water and food now all i need is the stealth to get close enough...

7. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wanted to kill some deer, the idea of doing it with a bow just seemed badass to me.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

8. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly how I started :lol:

9. Ben Schroo

Ben Schroo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I always said bowhunting would cut into waterfowl hunting and that I just didnt have time for it. Well now that NY opens October 1st I'll have 3 weeks to hunt. I've killed plenty of deer with a gun in 20 years of hunting them. I'm excited about the opportunity and challenge of killing a deer with a bow. Getting into bowhunting right now makes me feel like I'm a kid all over again!

10. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    great stories guys.

11. Chris1982

Chris1982 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I always hunted while growing up. I got into bowhunting when my dad bought an old Bear bow for 30 dollars from a co worker. My dad quickly realized he liked it and bought an upgrade and passed the Bear down to me. I was 12 at the time and started shooting everyday and have been a bowhunter ever since.

12. Buck master

Buck master Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I started bowhunting when I realized I was shooting the deer at less than 20yds with a rifle for the MI youth hunt, so I decided to get a bow. I am glad I did, because I have already shot 2 deer with a bow and it is a blast. It also adds to the challenge of shooting a deer, because I don't think deer can duck bullets. Lol :)

13. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I never hunted as a child but when I got older a buddy took me hunting for the first time. He also introduced me to archery. He let me shoot his bow and I was hooked from there.

14. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Same for me. I had a few friends in high school that all bow hunted and finally a couple years after we all graduated college, I went with them and started shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.skyangler.com

15. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We should all do more of this.

16. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    i agree i am so happy that my dad passed down his passion to me and hope to do the same with my kids!

17. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My dad tried and tried to get me to go hunting and I wanted nothing to do with it. I wanted to play video games and stay inside when I was younger. After some convincing I finally killed a deer with a gun. I killed a few more gun kills, I thought I could increase my opportunities with a bow, and it seemed a lot more fun. It took me several years to get that first one with a bow, but after that I became totally obsessed and now it's all that I think about. Bowhunting is one of the few things that I think about EVERY single day. Since I love it so much, I've been trying to pass it on to all the youth that will let me take them hunting. Much better than sitting inside playing video games!

18. Cooperd0g

Cooperd0g Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm 36 and hoping to start this year. I'm actually coming at this from what started as a fitness perspective. I have been in the military for a while, but when I was living by the mountains I started doing a lot of hiking, climbing, snowshoeing, skiing, etc. I realized that those things were a lot more fun if I as in good shape so I started working out more during the week. I started researching more about food - what was good and what was bad like grass fed beef raised without antibiotics. It hit me - it doesn't get more organic than harvesting your own meat from nature. I'm on the east coast now and saw that bowhunting seasons are so much longer than rifle. An old friend has agreed to take me out this fall to show me the ropes.

19. mitch r

mitch r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I always loved to hunt but never had much of a chance to do so moved a lot in the military. Moved to iowa where my mother bought 58 acres of timber. I have always rifle hunted, kinda hard in iowa its about 4 days long about the 2nd week in January for the lower two tier counties of the state. I met some friends at work who bowhunt. I have shot a lot of recurve for fun. Well a couple of days later I was at my local bow shop and picked up my new bow and that is how the madness started. Private ground a lot of deer and weeks instead of days to hunt. There is no going back.

20. Lt.smoke

Lt.smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The funny thing is the reason that I got into bowhunting was kind of as a default... I had ALWAYS wanted to bowhunt but never had the $$ well I was saving up to get reloading supplies for about 6 months and we could NOT get ahold of all the necessary parts so I took my $600 budget and called my uncle and asked him to set me up with a full setup for my budget and low and behold I came home with a Parker,Arrows,Bag,Release, etc