what is the lightest "mens" bow out there?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by r0scoe, Nov 20, 2014.

1. r0scoe

r0scoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like the PSE Stinger at 3.6lbs is about the lightest I've seen. Anyone know of any others that are lower?

2. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bowtech carbon knight. 3.2 pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Stubert

Stubert Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you go to light, you'll end up adding weight so you can hold it steady.

4. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You never said why you wanted a light bow. I wouldn't go super light, as others have said if you do. You will be adding stabilizers and such to add weight. IMO a 4lb bow without accessories is a balanced bow. When guys start comparing bows weights in terms of carrying them through the bush, its madness. 4lbs to 3.6lbs is the weight of maybe one of my fingers. Not that big of a deal. But when it comes to shooting the bow it does make a difference.

5. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Another thing to consider is balance of the bare bow. a 4.0lb bow that sits dead straight in hand will feel lighter than a 3.5lb bow that you're fighting to keep straight. also means less required weight in the long run to get the bow to balance.

I bought a 4.0lb Carbon Spyder 34 and have just about the heaviest stuff on it. Tommy Hogg sight, 12" front bar on a downward offset, and a 6+oz sidebar. First impression when people pick up my bow is "holy crap, you hunt with this?!" then they draw it back and feel how solid it holds and love it. It's all preference. i prefer a heavy bow, keeps me steady when my nerves try and do the opposite

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  6. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My bear attitude weighs 3.7

7. ILbowhunter

ILbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree that a little weight is good to have on a bow, and I like for my bows to be over 4lbs for sure, but starting with a lighter bow allows you to add the weight where you need it to balance it the way you want it.

8. r0scoe

r0scoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That was my thought process when I saw the carbon knight. It's light and when I add the accessories to it, the weight will balance out but still be 1lb or so lighter than the typical bow. Allowing me to hold it longer waiting for the right shot without tiring out my shoulder

9. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like a bow with weight to it. My target rigs end up around 8lb. My hunting bows end up in the neighborhood of 5-6lb. I can tell a big difference in the way they hold and aim. For me ATA and riser length has as much to do with it as weight though when it comes to steady aim.

10. WesternMdHardwoods

WesternMdHardwoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This guy said it best. I have a Carbon Knight, and it is far from the best shooting bow I have ever shot but as a bowhunting rig it is the best I have ever owned. I simply have a Octane Stab w/no weight and a Axcel Armourtech HD dovetail. This gets the weight out from the bow enough for me to hold it comfortably.

People will argue that you wont notice the difference when carrying it, but it wont hold steady. If that's a lot of peoples concerns they should all be in the woods with 36"+ ATA bows with Longer Stabs and sidebars.

Disclaimer: I hunt eastern mountains where your farthest shot MIGHT be 40yrds so it works for me. If I was hunting in the west spot and stalking, shooting greater distances, I would want a bow that stabilizes a little better.