Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

What is the Best Arrow and Arrow Weight

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by whitetailbowhunter, Feb 4, 2012.

1. whitetailbowhunter

whitetailbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey
    I have a Bowtech Assassin with a 55lb Draw Weight. I am currently using Beman 400 ICS with a slick trick razortrick 100gr broadhead. I mainly hunt Whitetails and was wondering what would be the best arrow weight
    and arrow brand for my setup. I also would like to keep it under $100 for a 12 pack. I am also thinking of using
    lighted nocks this year. Which brand is the most economical and has good quality.

Thanks Very Much

2. OKhunter

OKhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was also using the beman 400 ICS hunter arrows. I just made the switch to the easton axis 400's and love them. With only drawing back 55LB's then you should be able to use the Easton Axis 500's or the Easton Bloodline 500's which would give you a light arrow so you can add the lighted nock and still keep your arrow lighter. With 55LB you should be in the 340-360 grain arrow IMO.

3. Scljrl

Scljrl Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nockturnals for lighted nocks.......

5. Kiwininja

Kiwininja Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use the analogy of a boxer or martial artist ...a jab (light setup) is quick yet its power (KE) is timid hence why one needs many to inflict the damage necessary to down the opponent ..A power punch (heavier setup) on the other hand may be slightly slower but once the connection has been made the KE exerted is profound producing a massive knockout!! We must remember we really only have maybe one chance at the shot of a lifetime and we really want pass throughs for quicker kills and better blood trials ..I would not use anything lighter than 400 grains (I use 425 - 450 grn with a setup shooting 245fps) ....
    I have watched youtube hunts where the animal has been 20 - 30yrds shots have been on the money yet the arrow is sticking out the same side it was shot from ..to me my assumption is that the hunter had a light arrow setup and not having the punching power to blow right through ...but that is just my opinion ")
    I am a Kiwi hunter and we are spot and stalk hunters and at most times our bush is thick, hilly and extremely mountainess (in some places) so out shots vary depending on where we have stalked the animal too ...
    All in all I find nothing wrong with the setup you have Beman ICS 400s they are inexpensive and believe me they ain't **** ...if anything doe's go wrong I don't blame my equipment I blame my poor judgement and form ..Its just awesome that we enjoy the thrill of the hunt not matter how we do it ...")
    P.S Today there is this thing about the need for speed ..and yet the fore fathers of archery and those who are more current the likes of the Ted Nugents, Fred Bears, Chuck Adams where harvesting animals with form, excellent shot choice with setups that were slow compared to todays bows ...cheers

6. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know your draw length, but I do know your arrow is really light, especially up front.

This is what I would do.

1) If you like the Beman's ( I do) then I would get 12, Beman 400 ICS Camo Hunter
    Arrows
    2) Add a 50 grain brass insert to the front (take it to a pro-shop or ask the online company to add it)
    3) Use a 125 grain COC fixed blade broadhead like this...

http://www.bowhunting.com/shopping/Products/Nap-Hellrazor-125__70411.aspx

or

http://www.bowhunting.com/shopping/Products/Razortrick-125-Gr-1-18-Broadhead__4550.aspx

That should up your total arrow weight by 100 grains or so, 75 grains of which would
    be added up front, thereby making your arrow penetrate much better. Your bow
    should quiet down as well.

7. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The only way to go is a 300gr arrow with a RAGE.

8. flatwoodshunter

flatwoodshunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot Easton Axis N-Fused 500, 27.5" long, 100 gr. point (365 grains). I also shoot Easton Axis N-Fused 400, 27.5" long, 85 gr. point (375 grains). 100 grain point on the 400's would give you more FOC and 390 grains. Price on eBay is usually around $100-$110 per dozen.....http://www.eastonarchery.com/arrows/axis/0/2

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  9. whitetailbowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Is this weight with or without broadhead

Thanks

10. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    IMHO this is exactly what NOT to do. The lighter the poundage you shoot, the heavier the arrow you need.

Brett (virginiashadow) hit the nail on the head. Add more weight, particularly up front.

11. whitetailbowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am looking at the Gold Tip Expedition Hunter With Everything it would weigh around 380gr Would this be a good option or should I add a weight in the front

12. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    It will work. But it could be a lot better, I think. I would add more weight. What I would do with those arrows...

Not sure what your DL is but i'll give you an arrow length of 28". Add or subtract 8.2gr per inch to give yourself and accurate representation.

Expedition 5575@28"
    125gr head
    50gr insert weight.
    Total weight= 443gr with a 17% FOC.
    PENETRATION

http://www.goldtip.com/build-arrow/...bid=0&pid=30&pow=0&iow=0&iid=39&wow=0&wid=104

13. whitetailbowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks I have one more question would this set up be all right if I had a 60lb draw weight I am hoping to increase my draw
    weight before next season but want to know if this will be alright.

Thanks again

14. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    What is your Draw Length? My guess is that you will be fine.

15. OKhunter

OKhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Weight vs. speed is always going to be argued. I have posted this same debate on this forum and i had half tell me weight and half tell me speed. The truth is that you can get great KE by using either method. I shoot a 2011 PSE Bowmadness with a 28"draw @ 70lb. I shoot the the Easton Axis 400 with a 75 grain broad head with the total weight of my arrow being 338 grains. I shoot this arrow at 307 fps putting my KE at 71. That is enough KE to hunt anything I would ever come across including any Large game and which deer are considered medium game so i would say that i have enough KE. KIWI with both of our setups I have more KE then you do shooting the lighter arrow. My proshop did my chronograph for me and i asked them about KE and they referred me to this wedsite.
    http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/practical_bowhunter/penetration/index.cfm

16. OKhunter

OKhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The Bowtech assassin has similar specs to my bow should i would assume it would shoot around the same speeds give or take a few FPS

17. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    I"m not going to get into an argument with you about arrow weight. Simply because it's redundant, I'm hungover, and judging by your current demeanor, you will not listen nor care to learn.

KE does not equal penetration. Please do more research before you begin preaching to a very rehearsed community.

18. OKhunter

OKhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know that it is all about momentum. I was just replying to kiwi's earlier post about ke which was false. I was just stating that if ke Is what you're going for then you can get it both ways. But I will ask this though, if a deer is reacting to sound wouldn't you want a faster arrow?

19. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There will never be a bow fast enough to beat a deer's reaction.

20. JustDad1520

JustDad1520 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There is no way to make a bow fast enough to beat the reaction time of a deer. But, there are ways to make a bow quiet so there is less for the dear to react too.