What is the bare minimal?

Discussion in 'Game Processing, Recipes & Cooking' started by CToutdoorsman, Jun 14, 2017.

1. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I have always wanted to processes my own deer but never had the ability to do it this last season I learned how to do it from a buddy and I differently think after a while it pay for itself. So if i just make steaks burger and the straps and tenderloin what is the minimal equipment I need?
    I figured a meat grinder
    and a cool place to keep my deer.
    I may sound like a fool for thinking that all I need but it is because i am brand new to processing my own deer.

2. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Tribeck and CToutdoorsman like this.
  3. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good set of blades. I prefer Victorinox. Large cutting board as mentioned above. Grinder 3/4 hp or above preferred if can't afford then whatever you can get. Meat totes are nice and a fridge to keep the tubs of meat in as you're working. The more you get into it and finances allow the more you'll get. The best 2 purchases I made was a 20lb electric stuffer and a 50 lb meat mixer that hooks to a 3/4 hp grinder. It's one of those things you learn as you go

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

CToutdoorsman and copperhead like this.
  4. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do all my own processing. So thinking this through you really don't need a lot. But here is what I do:

You have to skin the animal. This requires a good sharp knife.

A gambrel is helpful but not required. You can use the ground or a table to skin and move the animal around on the hide. The idea is keeping the meat clean and debris free.

Once you have it skinned you can start breaking it down to managable pieces; like hind quarters, front should, back straps, inner loin, neck, ribs, etc. Once again a sharp knife, meat saw and clean area to work. A table will save your back.

Once you have it broken down you can start to de-bone and make cuts. A sharp flexible knife is desired here and maybe a meat saw if you leave bone in some cuts. I usually don't.

Pieces that are left over and not large enough for a chop or steak can be used as stew meat or grounded up for hamburger or sausage. The grinder comes in here.

The final part is wrapping. Lots of options here like vacuum bags, freezer paper or freezer bags. You will also need a sharpie to label and date the packaging.

So list would be.

Sharp knife
    Sharp flexible knife
    Clean area to work
    Clean table
    Meat saw
    Grinder
    Packaging materials

Does that help?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  5. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    meat processing: Fillet Knife, Chop knife, XL HDPE Cutting board, Meat Grinder, Vacuum Sealer, Big Metal Bowl, and a friend. After you get the hang of it you can buy a meat slicer and mixer to add more options when processing. Good Luck

6. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How many deer do you look to be processing a year? I only do a couple so to me investing so I can grind myself doesn't seem cost effective. So I just have my knives, vacuum sealer, freezer wrap.

I will either take my grind in to be made into sausage, or combine it with extended family who does grind.

CToutdoorsman likes this.
  7. Hoytxhunter

Hoytxhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Simple processing doesn't take much. Knives, grinder and a sealer. You can find the brands you like at the prices you like. Small batch only needs a table to work on. I hope to have my 450 soft processing room done later this year along with an 8 x 10 walk in cooler and 8 x 8 smoke house. But I also butcher the pig for the sausage, chops and bacon. That takes a bit more than one table. But in the end I think no matter what degree you take it to you will more satisfied with the end result.

CToutdoorsman likes this.
  8. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you everyone for all the input! I usually get two to three deer done a year and to one processed here in CT is $90 so I figure I pay it off in a season or two!

Tribeck and copperhead like this.
  9. Smitty0220

Smitty0220 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Copperheads list is a pretty good start. Note the emphasis on "sharp" knives"! Like everything else, you will add as you progress. One thing I would add if you are brand new to butchering would be a good book or a good video that will show you the entire process. Several good ones are available. The other advice I have is enjoy the process and don't get worked up about screwing up. For me, the butchering is part of the entire package of hunting.

Tribeck likes this.
  10. Frankiecruzer

Frankiecruzer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Gamble and pulley, Good knife, pot, large cutting board, ice chest, vacuum sealer, latex gloves and at least a six pack but that's optional. I had bought a small grinder from ****s for $90. And check out a few you tube videos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Check out "Dead on Hunting" how to process your deer. On YouTube. Excellent breakdown of the entire animal. It's about 4 videos long.

12. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Also youtube gutless skinning. Makes it a ton easier.
    I skin and debone on a table or tail gate. If you want to hang your deer, especially if you're alone, Use 2 pulleys so the deer doesn't spin on you. I'll add good lighting to that also.
    If you want to save money on a Sealer. Just use Freezer bags, and load the meat into them under water. It'll keep all the air out of it and freezer burn away. Good on you for being more self reliant.

Tribeck likes this.
  13. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The #1 thing besides a decent grinder is a GREAT set of knives. Don't skimp on those.

14. cant

cant Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You said bare minimal. I don't agree with anyone here. I used only two sharp blades, Saran wrap, and butchers paper for about 10 years. After that I bought a grinder and stuffer attachment for my wife's kitchen aid mixer. I do anywhere from 3-6 whitetail with that and almost always quarter and de bone in the field. For sure learn gutless method it makes everything easier. One thing I will say Is take your time when home and cutting up all the meat into cuts. Do an hour or two a night. Keep everything as cold a possible and remove every tiny piece of fat you see. Also package everything into sizes you will want to defrost. So if you are the only one eating make them the size of a meal. Saran Wrap first than wrap with butchers paper.

15. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No need for a meat saw.
    Get a wide roll of pallet wrap.
    Way cheaper and stronger than saran wrap.
    Can do a lot of deer with one roll
    !

cant likes this.
  16. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A way to hang the deer is nice for lots of reason. Makes skinning easier and also allows the deer to cool completely.

A good set of knives and some sort of saw. A hacksaw works fine. Use it for removing the head during the skinning process and splitting the pelvis when quartering it up. Also, some sort of knife sharpener to keep the blade sharp.

A nice big cutting board and a table to work off of. A grinder is nice to have, but if you don't have one some shops will grind for you. Most likely only ones that butcher deer though.

You need some way to wrap/store the meet. This can be done with Ziplock freezer bags, butchers paper or a vacuum sealer.

That's honestly all you need to do a basic butcher job besides time and patience.