What is Onx/huntstand

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by pastorjim08, Sep 8, 2019.

1. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here is a sample of what HuntStand can do. It is a screen shot of an area I scouted for the urban hunt I am doing this year. The first picture represents the entire city limits of the city where I am urban hunting. The second picture represents a close up of an area I scouted. The redlines are property boundaries of huntable land in the city. The deer symbols represent deer beds, I have also marked trails, droppings found, and an already active scrape. A parking spot is also marked. The water droplets mark a creek bottom that is coming out of the lake represented by the blue spot in the bottom left. Using HuntStand as an online scouting tool made it way easier to find spots that were worth the time and effort of boots-on-the-ground scouting. I found all the deer sign that is marked in about 30 mins of walking this small piece. IMG_6330.JPG IMG_6331.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  2. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  3. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There is both a free and a paid version. I use the free version.

4. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been using the free ScoutLook app for years. It does everything I need. It looks like it will do everything that onx does with some cost. I have huntstand app download but I haven't spent the time to figure it all out. ScoutLook weather is very good..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Big fan of huntstand, easy and simple, tried the other free versions never added anything worth making the switch

6. HillviewHuntClub

HillviewHuntClub Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have onX and ScoutLook weather I like both of them and have been helpful to me on hunts. I also have the DeerCast app made by the Drurys and there weather part has been awesome to use before hunts.

Hillview Hunt Club

7. NMGuy

NMGuy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Yup. We put either large 8” nails, or 8-12” pieces of rebar into most important locations for this reason. You should have a piece or rebar on every corner of your property if it’s ever been properly surveyed. It should have a plastic cap on top of it with the surveyors name and license number. The caps can get old and break down over time though.

Lots of buttholes try and move the stakes and lathes. Which can be a serious crime depending on what state you live in or what the survey was for. But construction guys do look for the actual in ground marker!

It was a cool job working out in the desert. We marked spots on very old survey markers that hadn’t been documented since the 1890’s-1920’s by horseback! Many were under feet of sand dunes, held up by rock structures, etc... most people would never see them. A very accurate GPS is needed to find them as most are only 1-3” in diameter and sit right below the surface. Some end up in awkward places and others almost vanish as land changes.