What is every one doing to get ready for this season?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Keith Mako, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Keith Mako

Keith Mako Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot a lot more this year. Bought a few ever calm scent sticks. I am getting the NAP spit fires. Not a lot of scouting but I will get to that soon. I have private land to hunt but have a few friends that want to hunt with me so I will scout some public land areas.

2. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Broadhead tuning and practicing...hanging stands, messing with food plots, trail cam inventory...about to set up some mock scrapes.

3. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Got three stands set up after scouting the areas. Checking cams every so often. Been shooting when I get the chance. Basically just waiting for the season to start.

4. Keith Mako

Dislikes Received:
    What do you shoot your broad heads at?

5. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    A broadhead target.

Pretty much what everyone else has said... When does your season start? Think it may be a little too late for some hardcore scouting.

6. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been shooting mine at my Block Black Target...I keep one out of a 3 pack as my practice broadhead or just buy new blades for them for season. They are tearing up that target though. When this one is totally worn out I think I'll buy a Rinehart 18 n 1 or one of their other big cube targets.

7. Keith Mako

Dislikes Received:
    That is the problem I am having. I shoot at a cheep target buck commander from wal-mart. I am eating it like breakfast. I am trying to find a cheap easy way to shoot them with out tearing up a block.

8. Drawdown

Drawdown Newb

Dislikes Received:
    No scouting yet, just getting ready from what I learned from just a little hunting last year on a private hay-hardwood mountain farm. Built a natural open ground blind with couple pieces of camo burlap&netting. Started a mock scrape next to it and another place I'll hunt from a ground blind later that I opened a mock scrape also. Me and the owner started a corn feeder next to my 1st spot also. Have been shooting about a month and must say the PSE I got last year, I've never shot another bow better, I'm as pleased with that part as I can be. Got new slick trick 100gr standards for this year that I'm also very satisfied with, along with new scent coming from Jackies deer lures. I believe it'll be a very enjoyable season. I'll have the farm, 165 acres, almost all to myself except maybe gun season. It's by no means a great spot but it's private and good enough. I'm to old to get greedy, just want to enjoy some good hunting!

9. Mitchellhunt99

Mitchellhunt99 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im shooting every day and trying not to check my trail cams too often lol.

10. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I got the same target - I don't shoot broadheads every time I practice. Just shoot them a few times at different distances... You should be tuned and good to go after just a few shots.

11. NateJR_PABOWHUNTING

NateJR_PABOWHUNTING Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I already did the scouting and learned the layout of the new property I'll be hunting this fall. Now it's down to shooting my bow and getting as many pictures as I can to see what in the area. And of course buying all the gear to help me make it through those all day hunts comfortably.

12. NateJR_PABOWHUNTING

NateJR_PABOWHUNTING Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've already gotten 2 latter stands set in what I hope to be good spots.. And waiting on my Summit Cobra SD to come in the mail for those times I have to change it up in a pinch..

13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have everything about ready just have to pick my 3 arrows out of the box that I am going to use this season. I will wait to set up the tent and wash the camo

14. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Waiting on an MRI and crying over my torn rotator cuff...and researching crossbows for a late season RI rampage

15. Drawdown

Drawdown Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'll probably wash my boots today and box em with some earthscent. Will do the camo in next week or so. I've never even tried trail cameras yet, can you believe that! I've got to get me some for next year, especially hunting these mountain deer.

Just finished shooting some arrows flat on my butt up against a tree because I always hunt on the ground. It's amazing what you can do now with these new short compounds! I love this PSE!

I do 90% of my practice with a field logic $39 bag target with field points. I tune my bow to shoot old, big, solid blade easily wind plained broadheads. Do this and most any of todays broadheads will impact with field points, then adjust sights to X. After that I'll hardly ever shoot my broadheads, no need. But when I do I use a 22" Black Hole target.

I do my 3d practice with a deer & turkey silouhette targets I cut from cardboard placed on front of each of my targets. I also like to shoot judo points at leaves, clumps of grass, pieces of paper rolled up, at home, but especially in the field. The Zwickey Judo point is the best invention in archery! I've got 2 stillthat I know are 10years old, that have been shot into the ground 000's of times, and u just about never loose an arrow!

SS, I feel for you and can relate to your pain. In 96 I laid indoors with a broke neck, along with a few other injurys, from Nov 20 till March.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  16. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been scouting twice a week sense February. No mammal in this area can bat a eye without me knowing at this point. and shooting 6 times a week sense forever. I did buy a new bee stinger stab, and a limb saver string decelerator. the limb saver sure brought the noise level down.

17. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am a novice when it comes to scouting, but isnt twice a week going to pressure the deer?

18. Noblacksheep

Noblacksheep Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm working and trying not to check my trail cameras every 4 days. I could go check them right now, but yeah. Trying not to do that. 16 days til season starts. So close...

19. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There is lots of mountain where I live. I am in different areas all the time. I just want to see my options all over. When I know iv counted most of each herd. I move to the next spot. Rarely do I ever spook any deer. Most of the time they have no clue I'm watching them.

20. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    just got stands hangd onn sunday. encounterd some does while walking to the area that i hangd