What is Considered a Shooter?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Meathunter, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Meathunter

Meathunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    After being on the forums for a couple of months I have started to rethink my convictions on big buck hunting. So the question is, what would you guys consider a shooter here in Florida I understand the age part but what I want to know is the Score. Here are some Numbers to go by the typical State record in Florida is 168 1/8 2nd 165 2/8 and 3rd is 162 4/8 the three biggest Bucks taken last year where 154, 152 6/8, 151 3/8. The county I hunt in can reach the 150's but that is a rare buck. So based off of this info what would you call a shooter.

2. tankdog78

tankdog78 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What ever gets your heart racing!

3. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Everyone defines a shooter in their own unique way. You can't expect someone to tell someone else what THEY should be shooting. Hunting should be about the individual.

4. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This ^

5. Meathunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree whole heartedly, But just wandering on the size as far as Quality Deer Management side that's all. I am of the mindset to shoot what makes me happy, just trying to get some opinions.

6. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For the most part a 4 year old whitetail buck or mature doe.. any elk pretty much minus a calf.. bears I like to shoot mature critters too..

7. Bails-UK

Bails-UK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If its legal , its down . I shoot Longbow and hunt for the excitement and fun of it , not the size or how many points it has , so I'm not picky ;)

8. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ya know Dave, I would be a lot less picky with my long bow too..

9. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Anything you want

10. CowboyColby

CowboyColby Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Whatever makes you happy

11. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If he'd look good on my wall I shoot him. I'm at a stage that if I don't want to spend the money to mount him he walks. I shoot a few does to fill the freezer.

12. AntlerAddict

AntlerAddict BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    It's always nice to get opinions on things, but you should make that decision on your own. Everyone has different goals, and you shouldn't let anyone set them for you. If a deer gets you excited or meets your goals than shoot it. Now if you're hunting someone elses land and they have some shooter requirements, than that is different and you should probably respect their wishes, and consider it a privilege to hunt their land. Just my opinion on the shooter or not a shooter subject. Good luck with your decisions and share them with the rest of us if you have some success, whether some say its big or small, or a shooter or not. Good luck!

13. Meathunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the replies guys, the goal of the thread was not to have anyone set my goals for me I am always going to shoot what makes me happy whether it be a nice 8pt or a lil spike. Just thinking about doing some quality deer management to grow bigger bucks and want to know what could be considered a shooter and what should walk, if you were hunting in my state.

14. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    169 3/8 anything less isn't worthy of an arrow.

15. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If QDMA is your goal I think you should be focused more on how old a "shooter" should be rather than how many inches of antler they have. For instance...you might decide to hunt bucks that are 4+ yrs of age?

But like the others said...you need to decide for yourself what type of bucks to go after.

16. Southernboy

Southernboy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Any legal deer you are willing to shoot.

SB

17. Southernboy

Southernboy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For SB...a deer w/out spots.

SB

18. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What Cooter said !! You should be more interested in it being mature then score.

To throw out a score for a florida deer or any other state for that matter that I am not familar with is probably a waste of your time. I would just be guessing. But since guessing never stopped me from saying... I would say 120 - 130 inch buck is going to be big for your area if the best of the best is 150. Anything over a 100 inches is going to be a good buck.

Tim

19. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Something every hunter who decides not to focus just on meat in the freezer deals with, just what is a shooter?

In my opinion there's a couple things one must consider before the answer can be reached:

-Your geographical location and it's ability to produce big bucks.
    *Midwest states big in crops and natural mass producing trees are naturally going to produce larger bucks
    than that of Florida or similar such instances. The more nutrition pumped into a deer the better rack
    that deer "could" produce. Obviously genetics and age of deer play a factor as well.

-What is your definition of trophy buck?
    Trophy bucks in inches or trophy bucks in age, and yes big difference as stated by some.
    I've witnessed a 2 year old buck on my property out score a 4 year old...but you can bet that 4 year old
    isn't any less of a trophy in any sense other than inches. If your answer to this is anything, than go for it, ultimately
    you have to be happy!

-Terrain...your personal property?
    Yes in my opinion this plays a factor. Not only do you have to consider your location and definition of
    trophy is; consideration of your exact property is crucial as well. I have permission to hunt a property
    that is barely even wooded at all...more or less just a field that is good only for movement to food
    sources if lucky. On that property I would consider a smaller caliber buck a trophy than I would on my
    primary spot where I've personally downed P&Y bucks and seen ones on the edge of being booners over
    the years. *This if you own or have permission to can be changed with hinge cutting, food plots or
    plantings.

Just my .02

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  20. wwhteam

wwhteam Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    that means that you live in north fl. heck we had one buck gross 174 last year with a bow. but in madison at my club if its 4 yrs and is close to 120 thats a shooter. but like everyone said if your not going to hang it or makes your heart race don't shot and wait for the big boy to set out.