What is an acceptable drought to you???

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by atlasman, Dec 29, 2015.

1. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No I guess I should have been a little more clear. A week from the end of the season.

2. Kaiser878

Kaiser878 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I guess to answer the original posts question you need to evaluate several things....

Goals
    Time
    Ability
    And most importantly.... what quality of deer ypu have in your area....

For me personally, 1 year without a buck is unacceptable.... my standards are 4+ and 140+....

I dedicate to much time, money, and effort into this to end a season by falling short of my goals.... 2012 was one of those years.... I had a deer I was hunting and he broke off about 40 inches off his rt side.... so I stopped hunting him....

I see no rrason to shoot a buck less than what my personal goals are... for what? It's a waste, and it hinders my goals for years to come...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

3. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You are lucky to have that option Kaiser.
    Keep your sights set high.

4. Kaiser878

Dislikes Received:
    I agree.... im very very fortunate.... and I'm very grateful for it.

Everyone has a different set of goals.. if shooting 50 110-125 inch deer in their life is a psrsons goal... great.... but they should never complain about not seeing or shooting big mature deer.... personally I have zero desire to shoot a young or small deer. But that's me...

5. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have "SEEN" one deer that broke 130" in my life here in my area.
    I haven't given up my dream of someday shooting a deer in the 140 - 150 class.

Someday!

6. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is why I wouldn't really consider it a "drought". IMO, having a buck less than your goal that you choose to pass on standing 20 yards broadside is as good as a dead (tagged) buck. You simply just let it walk by. The hunt is over and successful IMO. You just didn't put an arrow in it or have the opportunity for glory photos. Having a piece of paper around his antlers wouldn't do too much more for me on a lesser buck than I'm looking for. Like you said, I could probably be tagged out in less than 3 days if I wanted. I'll kill a few does a year. My kids will shoot a couple more. More than enough venison for us for the year and scratches the itch of killing deer at the same time. If a big buck is tagged at the same time..... nice bonus! If not.... we let a lot of deer live that could've been killed.

7. Kaiser878

Dislikes Received:
    And that goes back to what's available for your area.... if your consistently shooting the biggest deer u have access to every year.... than what else could you ask for? Success is measured in many different ways by many different people...

Tags: