What got you into trad ??

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by FOXFIRE, Sep 17, 2013.

1. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm just getting ready to start my plunge into trad gear. Waiting for the Indian archery cheaply recurve I ordered for 60 bones to arrive. I've been putting it off for a couple years but couldn't any longer, shooting my compound has become almost boring. So I'm hoping this helps out. I also love to small game hunt but the shotgun just doesn't do it for me anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have since switched to a compound but I started off shooting my grandfathers traditional bow. He got me into bow hunting and it was my first experience with a bow. To keep it retro/throwback I still use a finger tab on my compound to this day.

3. Q-harley

Q-harley Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I started bowhunting by making my own bow and arrows, I never could figure out how to make a compound.Q

4. WildmanSC

WildmanSC Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I aggravated an old football injury to my right shoulder about 13 years ago when I drew my 64# compound without an arrow to release. When I let the bow down it felt like it ripped my arm off at the shoulder.

Six weeks of therapy followed. The owner of The Archery Shop suggested I switch to traditional bows. He loaned me a 35#@28" recurve to partially draw as part of my therapy. Thirteen years and 200+ recurves and longbows later I'm now shooting only the Morrison Cheyenne listed in my signature.

Bill

5. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When I started over 50 years ago it was archery/bowhunting. Compounds were in their infancy.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk
    Bows, Broadheads and Backstraps

6. Mnrecurve

Mnrecurve Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The thought of getting back to the basics, really appeals to me. I bought the traditional gear last year, and I am having a wonderful time learning. I have been in the stand this year with my Montana many times. My New Years Eve will be out in a heated stand, and my long bow!

7. Night Hawk

Night Hawk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im still waiting on my Dwyer, but I like the simplicity of traditional. The thought of instinctive shooting intrigues me as well. However, I am sure I will always have a compound bow as well. Both are very appealing to me.

8. VA Bowbender

Dislikes Received:
    What weight recurve did you get?

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk
    Bows, Broadheads and Backstraps

9. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I got a IA Seneca off of eBay in perfect condition for 75 bucks. I draw about 48 pounds on it( way to much I know).

10. VA Bowbender

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, but the price was right! A guy gave me the same bow years ago.

11. Al_D

Al_D Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm still very new to the bow so take this for what it's worth. I got the bug and started shooting a compound and though I liked shooting it, I wasn't a fan of the bow itself. All the sights and cams and thingamajigs and dooflatcheys, it's a lot for a guy like me who prefers to keep things simple. Then a friend of mine from church invited me over to shoot some of his trad bows and it was love at first flight. I own a recurve now and can honestly say I doubt I'll ever look back to the compound. I need a lot more practice with it to be sure before I can do any kind of ethical hunting with it but that's a journey I think I'll enjoy. It's all about the experience to me more than anything else.

12. gobbler716

gobbler716 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Boy Scouts, 1963. Dad bought me a 30# Ben Pearson then, and I used to shoot it over and over. Other friends received them as gifts, so we had a little club that would shoot targets in the back yard. We had a huge field behind us that was wonderful for estimating how far we could shoot accurately.

BTW, I still have that bow.

13. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have 2 and my 10 year old son has 1. Ive only brought mine into the woods once and was it a strange feeling. I can't get it out of my head. My goal this year is to hunt with it. Definitely have to get into better shape to shoot it responsibly.

14. darrin

darrin Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Watching Robin Hood growing up... reading The Hatchet which inspired me to wanting to build my own bow and make my own arrows. Made the bow from a maple board, thing shoots slower than heck with 49LBS@29", but I want to keep making them... for now I don't have the tools because they are being shipped and put in storage for a few months until my family can figure out where to move into. So I will be using a Samick Journey when it comes in the mail in a days... can't wait.

Love the thought of getting meat that came from an animal that ran around wild for its whole life with out any of the antibiotics and crap livestock have in them. The animals lived the happiest lives they could have, no feed lots or anything. What better way to spend your time than with a primitive weapon in a wild place with no attachments to the bow dealer as you breathe the fresh air? Why bother with the technological bows? Something goes wrong with it you have to either fix it on the spot, take it home, or take to the bow shop to have it fixed. With a trad bow the only thing that can wrong is... uh oh the string breaks, well shucks might as well get the spare one out... no sights, stabilizers, or other hubajoobs to worry about. Arrows are a different story though. I admit to using carbon arrows and politely state that I am still learning to shoot and see the value of using something that is durable to learn to shoot with. I intend to go fully traditional when I am comfortable enough shooting the bow. That being said can't wait to shoot again! I do still need to get a license and will say I have not been on a hunt, but I did grow up fishing and spent some time also spear fishing. In my mind fishing and hunting are the same, they're both hunting just different methods and equipment used for different animals. Spearfishing is more like hunting though... you're not luring the animal to you... you are literally stalking the fish, but most times the fish sees you and gets away.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  15. mrirbic

mrirbic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Being 4 or 5 years old back in 1975-76, watching cowboys and Indians on TV..my uncle and I went out and cut off a couple of nice branches and some twigs got some old shoe strings and played for days... then somewhere around 10 years old I was given my first traditional bow.

16. Matr138920

Matr138920 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I was watching as David Peterson calls it the "Outhouse Channel" and every single time they would take an animal they would say I couldn't of done this without my "x" and am just sick of the product placement they have on these shows, I know they have to sell their sponsors. That and I really love the core of archery from its past and the challenges that they faced before all of the high tech equipment.

17. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Family tradition

18. longbowmanjimmy

longbowmanjimmy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When we were kids all my friends and I would carve out bows from saplings and try to shoot them, they all didn't think too much of it but I loved it, something clicked. I started buying hickory boards and making basic bows, then laminating them and shooting rabbits. 8 years later and Im an all out bowhunting addict haha. I always like good old wood stock guns vs synthetic, just kind of the way it should be in my mind, so I think its that bias that always reels me back to the "real" bows. Haven't had the balls to bring one in the deer woods yet though

19. longbowmanjimmy

longbowmanjimmy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dude you are soooo right! Its insane some of the first words that come out of peoples mouths when they kill an animal man

20. Iowa Bowhunter

Iowa Bowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've sold all my wheel bows. Mathews and Elite were the last two to go. I did so, and bought a OMP Smokey Mountain Hunter which is I think a Samick Sage re-branded. I love the bow. I am not required to have a bow press any more, or take it in to the pro shop. It's lighter and simpler. Most important it's more fun than I have ever had shooting. I hate to say it, but kinda got caught up in the whole speed thing. I know now what it means when I hear the saying "less is more".