What do you get out of passing bucks???........my opinions on a lost season

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by atlasman, Feb 5, 2015.

1. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Time to unite and make a difference. We did here, and the state listened. Change can happen. It just takes a lot of work and organization among like minded outdoorsmen.

2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    we will see. NYS has been making some incrematl changes...mostly in the wrong direction, however then push back as been unreal.

I have already sold off half of my hunting property in NY, a great return mind you....and I plan to sell the rest also. MY time and money is much better spent out of NY during our hunting season.

3. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Buck tags are not transferable like DMP's and shouldn't be a dime a dozen.

4. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    When every hunter that buys a bow and regular season tag has a pair of them ...and we have more then 10 deer hunters per square mile in NY ...then they are a dime a dozen.

5. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's hard for me to comprehend being able to kill two bucks in the same year, in the same state. I wouldn't know how to act if they allowed that in Pa. Then again, I don't think the herd would even handle it very well.

6. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/hu...r-season-no-more-banking-bucks?src=SOC&dom=fb

7. bry2211

bry2211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just read all of this thread. WOW
    Wasn't really sure if I even wanted to comment, but figured everyone else did. Why not?
    One thing that I picked up on was that you had no evidence of the deer staying on your property. As I'm sure you know, the more mature a deer gets the smaller their core area is. Since you said that most of the deer you killed were full of corn, why not plant corn? Not acres and acres like you said your neighbors had, just as small food plot like you already have. It seems to me that you have everything else they need. If they prefer corn why not give it to them? If this would keep the bucks on your property then letting the smaller ones go would be more beneficial.

8. Rogue6

Rogue6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Again no Widlife biology degree here just what Me and my Buddies do and The laws in most Texas countys, We try to use age and Antler restrictions to manage our deer heard I did'nt tag a Buck this year for ethical reasons I had what i considered a cull in range but could not confirm his identity before i had enough light so i passed I have fine trophys on the wall and My motivations for management have changed i just wantto keep good antlers in the gene pool and keep the population controled so my Grandkids will know Hunting like there fathers did. So to sum it up I manage by trying to not take anything under 3years unless they are greviouly injured and its a mercy kill, i obey they state mandated limit of one Trophy one Cull in my County, Trophy = over 13" spread generally outside ears. Cull Spike or one spike and branched antler I try to use age in this instance.