What do you consider to be an "accurate" shot?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Don't Poke the Bear, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's the difference between hunting accuracy and target accuracy. I don't care how many arrows I can tube. I care about making one shot at an unknown distance, through obstacles when it counts.

2. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This but I would take off an inch.
    1"-20. 2"-30. 3"-40yards and I would also add, on your first shot.

I only practice with one or two arrows and focus on bulls eyes. You need your first arrow to hit it mark.

3. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like to keep my groups 2-3" at my shooting ranges when practicing. I figure that when I'm hunting and get a shot at a deer,cold, odd angles, nerves etc, that my groups would double. If I can put an arrow within 4-6" of where I aim when HUNTING that's a dead deer every time.

4. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The thing that gives me the most confidence in taking a kill shot on a deer is actually killing deer. I fully recommend to any new bowhunter that they shoot a good amount of deer with their bow in the early stages of their development.

5. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I say 2 or 3 inch groups are good for me.. I'm going to try and pick me up a ladder stand this year for practicing.

6. Legion_Edge

Legion_Edge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm very critical in my shooting practice is funny to my wife when I don't shoot how I feel I should be shooting. But that 1" per 10yds is good to me as well. But like all have said KD range and unknown distance is totally different I used to hang a stand on a light pole at my parents house and my brother would put the target at random spots and I couldn't move my stance to adjust. Good times

7. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well said, the biggest mistake new guys make is doing what they see on TV, waiting for a "shooter". Then, when a shooter shows up they miss, because they have never shot a deer. Hitting a live deer when your heart is pounding is very different than hitting a target. The best advice I ever got was to shoot the first legal deer you see. Unfortunately, the first deer I ever saw while bowhunting was also the biggest deer I have ever seen while hunting, a true giant, and of course, I MISSED!

8. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This^^^^ Not to mention aiming for the wrong place on a deer... too far back... point of shoulder... neck shots.

9. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with that 100%. New guys need to get some kills under their belt but you see a lot of them get started and immediately start out waiting for a big buck. They finally see a shooter and they miss or worse make a bad hit because they've never actually shot at a deer before. Experience the nerves, the gitters, the blood trailing and every thing that goes with deer hunting with a bow before waiting on a big deer.