What do you consider good accuracy

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by ryanf, Apr 20, 2014.

1. The Old Man

The Old Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My brother in law lived in Texas. He told me once that everything in Texas is sooo big it takes him all day to drive across his property. I told him not to feel bad, my truck runs like that too. :poke:

2. The Old Man

The Old Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry, no more hi-jacking from me. :o

3. Zedd

Zedd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    one last comment re Texas being the best. I love Texas, but unless you own land or have money to lease, you are screwed. The entire state has about 500,000 acres of 'public' land that a fee must still be paid to hunt on. Within 50 miles of my sisters house are over 500,000 acres of Pennsylvania Game Lands + private land the state leases for hunters + State Parks, and a little further is the Allegheny National Forest of about 500,000 acres. All FREE. Lotsa deer, bear, grouse, turkey, fishing for trout, basses, musky, pike, etc.... Generous seasons, especially for bowhunters.

4. J-Daddy

J-Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Everyone is different, I tend to not focus as much on short shots, I just kinda get the pin in there and let her eat, lol....At long range I tend to relax more and really focus on my shot more cause I know it can go bad in a hurry if I don't.

Oh and I can step out on my back deck and it's exactly 80yds to my target...I like to step out there cold from time to time and send a couple down range at 80yds to see how effective I am before I get warmed up.

5. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have to agree. I started shooting 70, 80, 90 and sometimes stepping out to 100. When I did that, my 50yd was my new 20. On whitetail, if I draw, I kill. I don't think, I just do. I know I'm ready for the woods at any given moment. I don't second guess, I don't have days where I wouldn't go because I may be having an off day. My off days are being outside a 3" circle at 50yd. That's still inside a 2" circle at 20. Dead deer.

I believe in practicing until you know your shot will be good. You don't get that from pounding spots at 20yd.

I do however believe that being able to shoot a near perfect to perfect score on a Vegas round consistently does really help work on form but, in my opinion, there is no substitute for long range shooting.

4 years ago, I thought I wouldn't miss my mark. I did. Once. After loosing that deer I swore I wouldn't loose another deer to a bad shot again. Will I? I'm dang sure going to do everything in my power not to. That's why I practice long range and am obsessed with pin point accuracy.

My beliefs aren't everyone's I know and I don't push them on people. I may sound like it at times but, I just want to give people things to think about and try for them selves.

Shoot until you have confidence. Just make sure that confidence isn't false. Mine was and I figured out the hard way and that sucks at best.

6. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot long range too. When I was really serious, alot of time was spent at 60+ but the majority of my shots were at 40. 20 feet shots in the garage took my game to another level though. I spent a winter just about every night working on the form and shot sequence and came out the next spring not finishing below 3rd in any tournament I went to in open class. That was until I burnt out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

7. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You would be surprised what you gain at 20 and even 10 yards.

Indoor shooters do alot of 10 yard practice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

8. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't say there wasn't benefit from it. Remember, I shoot Vegas rounds quite often and find it beneficial. I guess in reality it all benefits if executed properly.

9. KodiakIslandArchery

KodiakIslandArchery Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So true....long range for form....most hunting shots here are under 35 or so...

10. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    4" group at 40 yards.

11. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    4 inch radius or diameter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. KodiakIslandArchery

KodiakIslandArchery Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That would be nice....

13. michaellouderman

michaellouderman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I believe the animals we hunt deserve us to make the best kill shot possible.I believe they do not deserve to be wounded and run off somewhere and suffer lying there until they expire. That is why I want to be as accurate as possible.I am from an area where I never had more than a 40 yrd.treestand shot,now where I live I might have a 80 to 100 yrd shot.Lots of yardage difference.I agree,practice as long as you can and the short yardage shots will be cake.

14. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The whole reason to bowhunt is to get spitting close to a animal and come home with the prize. I get no thrill flinging arrows at deer at long distance.

15. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The old rule were I grew up was if you can hit a 9 inch pie pan you were good to go for deer hunting with a bow. I like the 1" rule at every 10 yards. But I usually determine my max effective range of where I can consistently shot 4 inch groups or better. So following the 1" rule that is around 40 yards. Yes I could probably shoot further and do practice out to 60 just to help make 20 seem a lot easier but will generally not shoot at an animal past 40 yards. But then again I leave in the south east where most shots are 20 yards or less.

16. michaellouderman

michaellouderman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yep,that is exactly what I thought till I moved out west.Sometimes you might have a bush,1,between you and the animal.Not much choice in that situation. When I moved here everybody was practicing at 60 and 80 yrds.Shoot man I could barely see that far.I know what you are saying though.

17. wolbear

wolbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Accuracy depends on too many variables for someone to tell you what "you" should shoot. I have shot those 3" groups in my backyard ( have a 4'x4' target and max distance of 100+ if desired) at 50 yards. That being said I was having one of the best days of shooting ever apparently! Normal group size at 50 and 60 is average at a honey dew melon so approx 4" or 5". The more advanced archers that shoot on a daily basis and have refined their form, the sky is the limit. When I see guys on youtube shooting 100 yards and hitting balloons it is quite interesting, but something I have truly never tried.