What do you compromise on with bow hunting gear?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BJE80, Jun 21, 2013.

1. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't have any camo this last year. Jeans and a t-shirt. I'll have some camo from Wal-mart after Christmas. My binos are from Kmart (Bushnell 10x50's) and I horse traded for my spotting scope (Nikon). I used my old three day bag from the army to bounce around the mountains this year, which wasn't bad, but I carried my bow more than I wanted to, especially when hiking.

It was said above, but I also went out with no "boots on ground" scouting. I listened to others and did a lot of map work, but never went out before the season started. This, and a new pack are the biggest lessons learned from my rookie season.

2. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I just don't reason out this question as most do. I don't feel any piece of equipment I have is a compromise. It's functional and lasts long enough that suits me. Using Bushnell Binos instead of Zeiss isn't compromise, it's sensible.
    I have functional equipment that allows me to accurately shoot farther than my imposed max limit. I have clothing that keeps me dry and comfortable in the conditions I'm willing to hunt in. I have stands & a harness that I feel safe in. It doesn't matter whether all that cost a few hundred dollars or several thousand.

3. RayJ

RayJ Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like the best or close to it.You get what you pay for.The things I pay a lot for are bow,deer stands,hunting coat.My camo is cheap.Army bdu pants and t-shirts.Rubber LaCrosse boots.Not the best but decent.I forgot,I want good arrows and broad heads.why pay 900.00 for a bow and go cheap on arrows or broad heads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Krohboy

Krohboy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't compromise much anymore, I use Sitka kennetrec Mathews vortex and lone wolf. I realized if I buy quality I don't need to buy lesser quality numerous times. My equipment is built to last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Sparkchaser

Sparkchaser Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    my range finder is an old bushnell thats +/- 5 yards lol, not a big deal until i hit 40+ yard shots then i get nervous.
    my binos are next to worthless too just some cheapy clearance rack bushnells again lol.
    treestands, i have only bought two and my brother and i have just built the rest of them.

i am fortunate enough to live in a outdoors loving family and i am gifted most of my gear or i save up and take advantage of lay away programs. TBH as long as i have enough to hit the woods i am happy.

6. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Excactly what I was going to say.

7. bigwoodsbowhunter

bigwoodsbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just upgraded my camo pants when at ****'s sporting goods at the end of hunting season I found a pair of Scentblocker's that were originally 229.00 marked down to 79.00. I don't know if they made a mistake or what but I couldn't resist.

8. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Backpack and binoculars. Will be replacing both with quality stuff if I am able to go to Colorado this fall. Other than that I try not to compromise on anything unless I find a killer deal on something else of high quality.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

9. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Couldn't agree more with this. Well said Ryan.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

10. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm very pleased with what I have. It does what I need it to do. Some of the things I have that aren't considered the "best", but work for me are:

Bushnell Chucks Adams rangefinder
    Beman ICS Hunter arrows
    Cheap rubber knee boots for early season ( I absolutely will not deer hunt with leather boots)
    Hang on stands-I buy Remington, Big Dog, anything I can get under $50
    I won't ever spend a bunch of money on camo again. You don't need scent-lok or scentblocker to kill deer.

11. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use cheap binos if I carry them at all. I don't shoot with a quiver attached so I usually use a moderately priced quiver. i use el cheapo stabs too.

12. jjs3

jjs3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Same here. I'd rather wait and "price hunt" then buy multiple times. I'm using much of the same kit and a new eberlestock pack (which I waited 2 years to find a deal on). Ebay, Craigslist, etc. I bought my vortex range finder at a pawn shop for $170. Deals are out there.