What do you compromise on with bow hunting gear?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BJE80, Jun 21, 2013.

1. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All of it except for safety equipment. That $1000 dollar bow is worthless if you bleed out or break your neck.
    After all it's just a hobby and I'm not going to sacrifice more important responsibilities in life just to have fun.
    Just because it's not the most expensive or the latest tech doesn't mean it isn't any good.
    I don't mind 2nd hand neither.

2. Mnrecurve

Mnrecurve Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I thought the more money you spend, the closer the deer get. :p I scrimp on the "nice to halves" like packs and range finders and the such so I can afford a nice bow, knife and treestand. It all works well.

3. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I build my own lock on stands. That way, I can hang as many as I want. They aren't fancy and maybe not as comfy... but I hunted in a 8 inch diameter tree this afternoon in 20-30 mph gusts.

4. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I used to have mismatched camo but now I have good camo but all bought at extremely low prices. I have an UA bag but i used to use an old green backpack. I use those safety harnesses that are given with the tree stand. My arrows are mid priced CSI hunter speed shafts. My tree stands are also only 100 bucks each but one of the most comfortable but heavy ones out there.

5. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have we seen a picture of these stands? I'd love to see one. I can always use more stands.

6. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would have to say mine is the worst. Time scouting:(. I get out there and just want to get set up where I think deer should be but don't put the time into finding out where they really are.

7. Beehunter

Beehunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you keep your eyes open, and bide your time, you can find top quality gear at below discount store prices. Just recently, I purchased a Scent-Lok jacket for $99 (regular price $279) and Cabela's Extreme Stand Bibs for $129 after savings (regular price $279). I like good quality gear, but I'm not fond of paying good quality prices.

My wife is great for watching for closeouts and sales, and she is a coupon'er, so she is also fantastic at sniffing out the great deals. I would be willing to bet that in the past few years, we have paid less than full price for over 90% of all of our purchases, and that includes groceries. Folks, the savings are out there if you know how to find them!

8. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll post one up. They are very simple but strong and portable. 12 pounds

9. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

I'm busted here as well far to many times lol....

<+>< Ps 46: 1 ><+>

10. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I dont hunt as much as some but i dont cheap out on anything. My bow is top of the line, all of my accessories are the best of the best, reliable and they work n ALL conditions, my arrows run about $30 a piece by the time they are built the way i like them, my release is a brand new Scott, i have a new nikon rangefinder, leupold binos, a nice Summit climber. The only thing i could upgrade is
    my camo, i use an older set of bibs that were too big for my dad, a cabelas windblocker pullover, so i have upgraded with an assortment of Rocky base layers and under armour. My boots are decent Irish setters with 600gram insulation. Im happy with all my gear, it works well and performs great

11. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My binos are a cheap pair of Bushnells I got at Wally World. No need to have anything better as I usually can't see more than 50yds in the woods anyway. Also my rangefinder is a cheap Halo that I actually upgraded to this year from my very old Bushnell. Since I'm only using it for bowhunting, anything accurate out to 50yds is fine with me. Everything else I have is pretty much the best I could afford.

Blessings........Pastorjim

12. TAuth41

TAuth41 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Cheap pair of Bushnell Binos and Field and Stream camo. Everything else is best I can afford at time of purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I pretty much don't. I shoot the exact setup I want from Bow down to each accessory. Arrows, Camo, Backpack, Camping Gear. Mostly all top of the line, and it was the exact piece I wanted.

I guess you could say I sacrifice on optics. I'd LOVE a Swarovski spotter and bino set, but no way will I ever drop $4-5k for a pair of optics.

I also want to trade in my boots but keep convincing myself not to. They already have 300+ miles, what's another year or two.

Sleeping Bags as well. If I got the 2 I wanted, I'd be out about $500+ each. I'm trying to make just ONE choice work, and stay in the $300 or less range.

14. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We bought the cheapo atv ramps from harbor freight ($60).... While K was driving the atv back up into the truck, one ramp bent causing the bike (and husband) to slide off and fall onto it's side.

Now the bike is at the shop because it started leaking gas after the incident. ...and we bought a decent American made ramp. ($210.00)

Don't compromise on ramps. :) (but if you must, I have a really cheap set I'll sell you. Only used twice. ;) )

15. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing. I just buy what I want....buy once, cry once.

16. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Binos and rangefinder are both cheap-o bushnells. Would love an upgrade in both in the near future.

Hunting stuff is basically all I spend my money on, I will save and sell something if I have something catch my eye. Huge believer in, "you get what you pay for."

17. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is my motto as well. You can't accumulate gear quite as fast, but you don't have to replace it near as fast either.

18. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I could use a new release and a rangefinder.

19. horus11b

horus11b Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Heres what it boils down to... What are YOU weak on?

I have a problem with always picking up the best gear, I feel like it makes people dependant on the gear and not able to practice and perfect their skills and techniques.

However the gear I do pick is usually designed to augment my own weaknesses. I have a good set of optics and a walkers game ear. My eyesight is getting worse and I lost most of my hearing in the military. The bow I have shoots fine, If i want a new one its because I WANT it, not because i need it. The arrows I have fly straight enough to kill targets in my killzone (40-50 yds). I look for gear that is simple, and unbreakable, and has as few moving parts as possible. I wish hunters/soldiers/men/women would realize that the biggest weapon we have is our minds. Everything else is just a tool for a purpose.

20. scoot12

scoot12 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    my camo outfit was from farm and fleet and cheap. Scoot