What do you compromise on with bow hunting gear?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BJE80, Jun 21, 2013.

1. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My binos are some lower end bushnells but they get the job done, I've yet to invest in a range finder, and I started off buying cheaper tree stands. I can live without a range finder for now, the binos get me by but could definitely use upgrading, however, a cheap Treestand I'll never purchase again. Last year I made the move to muddy hangons and the difference is night and day. I feel safe, secure, and the hang so easy. Money well spent!

2. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Binos - I have a pair I got from BPS. I really don't hunt where deer are far off so the ones I have are good I enough, I would like to get some HD binos one day soon.

3. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wear the same camo bibs I got when I was a freshman in high school. I'm 30 now. Use 30 dollar binos because I will loose them at some point in time.

I don't skimp on boots and T.P.

4. Born2Hunt

Born2Hunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I Newer carry a range finder and binos

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 4 Beta

5. PSEREVENGEMAN

PSEREVENGEMAN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The list is far shorter for what to not compromise when whitetail treestand hunting with 20 yard shooting. Broadhead practice, broadhead selection, shot selection,safety harness, stand safety. For whitetails, my 1975 PSE Pacer with gamegetter 2's, wasp broadheads, and a 1 pin sight will do just fine vs. my 305 fps Revenge with 7 pins. Broadhead practice and safety, everything else are secondary nice to haves, not necessities. Having $3,000 in gear will not make that playing card broadhead shot at 23 yards.

6. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    damn fitz, what year is that release from! and i definitely compromised on my target. cheap bag target that is a pain to remove arrows from! and i skimped on a rangefinder till i bought a leupold one.

7. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Nothing. If I think I need it, I get it. Bowhunting is my favorite past time, I don't compromise on anything when it comes to my favorite activity. Life is too short to worry about compromise for me.

8. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm gonna flip the original question... What I don't compromise on is the bow, arrows, BHs, Camo, and a release. Many times that is all I walked into the woods with and had great experiences and encounters... So, I have compromised lots in order to travel light and fast. I tend to bring much more with me, but every year I do a few hunts with the absolute minimum I can and will even do ground sits.

-Bill

9. fatsbucknut

fatsbucknut Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't really compromise as much as I plan and save. If i decide I want/need something, i'll get it sooner or later. It just might take some time. The one thing i'm going to buy this year is a gore-Tex raincoat. I've always relied on tree umbrella's (which work awesome) but i've got soaked walking in and out many times.

10. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's because Vortex isn't a sponsor and Mathew's doesn't make binos.

11. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know why people think they have to buy "the best" gear to get the job done. Calling a particular brand or gear better than another is all subjective. Good stand placement, minding the wind, and accuracy with a bow is all you need.

12. donut757

donut757 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I do agree with the statment above as things being subjective. But with that said i try to buy things at good prices when on sale most of the time.

I have had my scent lok coveralls for 3 years now and got them on sale for like $80. If i could have pieced an outfit together for cheaper i would have done that. I think wind is huge factor and that whole scent stuff doesnt really make or break a hunt but if it can help why use it to your possible aid?

as far as range finder and binos, many think bushnell is cheap, i have a pair of small $50 bushnell bino that arent great and i have a larger set of bushnell binos i got on sale that are $200 for $80 and they are clear as day... range finder is bushnell with arc. I only hunt with range finder and use that on thing farther away. (Same thing goes for scopes, i will take my nikon prostaffs over those $1000+ scopes anyday, if i hunted out west and took 400 yard shots that might change but im not sure)

I also wear muck boots when it gets cold or swamp is near, they simply cant be beat imo. Early season i wear a pair of gore tex timberland hiking boots i got on sale for $30, and i got two pair cause they are so comfortable.

Now i did go cheaper on arrows, release, and hang on stands... but again they have done me well for what i need to do so i really dont need to look for anything else.

I buy the cheap stands from sportsmanguide and buy climbing sticks from them also... they will last for years with taking care of them.

Arrows are gold tips... iknow they arent the best out there but do the job.

Now my release is the $30 bass pro one. I do want to get a new release and will eventually when i can test some out.

Now the pack i take in the woods is cheap. Its a ,$10 fanny pack from ****'s. Id would like a nice one with possibly more features and storage but i dont take much with me so it gets the job done.

13. jeepster1023

jeepster1023 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thats a tough question. Get the best you can afford. Don't compromise on your treestand though. It's your butt 25' in the air. I recommend BuckShot stands nice features and they heat treat them, safe stands.

14. Lt.smoke

Lt.smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Camo... I usually get stuff at Walmart... I have never been able to afford the newest high quality camo as much as I want to be able to get some nice quality stuff

15. flystraightandtrue

flystraightandtrue Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Camo, i get camo wranglers and long sleeve t's from walmart lol.

16. Mo-Jo

Mo-Jo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Everything... Nothing I have is new, but it is all well kept up and works great.

I do need to replace my camo coveralls that I have been wearing for too many years to count. I patched them last year so maybe I can get a few more seasons out of them?

Every season we work on the stands and take the metal ones out of the woods to touch them up.

I would love to buy a new bow, with some new technology, but I just can't part with old faithful.

17. MrFourBelow

MrFourBelow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Everything is a compromise !

I have an old military surplus duffle bag that I put a shoulder strap on ... the guys call it my "Man Purse" ...

I have old surplus BDU pants that have been died several times ...

I bought a used bow ... I may eventually by a newer one ....

18. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The 2 biggest things for me are:

1) like many have stated. The Camo I use is basically all stuff that I've gotten from Wal-Mart, or get at Wal-Mart on the clearance rack... I Can't remember the last time I got Camo somewhere else

2) My treestand and climbing sticks or steps..... Once again got my newest treestand from Wal-Mart (Bone Collector) which no doubt serves it's purpose for me, but I would love to have a Lone Wolf hang on but on a tight family budget I can't afford the $$ for it.... Also would like to get a set of LW or Muddy sticks but the Rapid Rails and Gorilla Steps I have also serve their purpose.

<+>< Ps 46: 1 ><+>

19. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well...I buy so much hunting stuff it's kinda stupid....lol. I guess I compromise on my Bino's Some old Bushnells from the 90's. Then tree stands....I just buy the Big Game Boss XL's from Dunhams on sale for $59.

20. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Binos. I have a pair of Redfields I bought 2 years ago and they are more than enough for NC. I have only had maybe one time I needed them and the deer ended up being a spike.