What did i just see?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by timmy_ar, Oct 27, 2012.

1. timmy_ar

timmy_ar Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I go out this morning and second guess myself as where to sit. I opted for a ground blind I built from fallen tree just because its a good travel area to and from bedding in the morning and evening. I had sat there last night and seen a really neat looking 8 with split brows but was a little young yet. Anyways it was about 8:45 this morning and was starting to think my morning was over when all the sudden I see antlers. It was only a small 4pt, but he was being pushed by a really nice 8 that I guessed to be in the 140's, huge body, def. shooter. So he pushes this 4 pt like they are playing because when I grunt he just looks over and keeps darting around the little fella. I loose track of them and sit there because I know the have to some back up the valley near my setup, when all the sudden I see the small 4 go dashing back into the woods. I hear some grunts and the big 8 is being chased by a SPIKE. The spike then stops and grunts at them and proceeds to make a scrap at the wood line. My question is how does an 80lbs spike chase a mature giant 8 off like its nothing? Thought I had seen some weird stuff, but this tops it.

2. PCO50

PCO50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah i must say i've never seen this before in. Sounds crazy to me haha. Just proves the fact that you always see something new henever you head into the woods.

3. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I mean I really don't know the answer - but you said they were just playing, so maybe they were just playing.

I mean I had a an 8 point buck dogging a pair of does this morning. Buck is outside the food plot at 50 yards from the doe and the doe starts licking a branch and makes her own scrape. Back leg kicks in the air, turns and prances out of the food plot. It was wild...

I don't think everything has a logical explanation.

4. cmkilo02

cmkilo02 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's pretty strange and cool.

5. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    From my understanding deer are much like people. some deer are fighters and some are not. Just could be the case here. That spike may just be a bully and the others know it.

6. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bucks don't need the biggest antlers to be dominate. They just need the biggest attitude.

7. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    He probably told them he'd push them towards that hunter in the downfall if they didn't tuck tail and make it look like he's the BA of the woods :D

8. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

What???

9. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog!

10. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have seen a doe run off a buck. He wasn't a huge buck but, none the less a buck. She had twin fawns with her and they stayed put 15yd in front of me until momma came back. It was crazy. They were all eating and the doe just stopped. Stomped a couple times then her fawns turned and faced each other as though they were watching each others backs. Few seconds later, she took off up a hill to a ridge and there stood a buck I didn't even see. She chased him over the ridge blowing up a storm and the fawns just stood there. Momma came back and stomped a couple more times and they went on about their travels. It was interesting to see a doe chase off a buck.

11. timmy_ar

timmy_ar Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I dunno what it was all about. I'm at same place this morning and there are about 5 scraps that weren't there yesterday. Anyone wanna come shoot a spike for me. LOL

12. moosie34

moosie34 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Actually happend quite often around here. Ive seen spikes and little 6 and 8 pointers run off older mature deer. In my opinion I think of deer as humans in a way. The younger the deer the faster there hormones set in and just like a teenager they get pissed easy and have bad tempers. But when the prime rut starts you wont see a spike even go around a big mature deer. This is just my opinion..

13. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Right now the only rutting activity I have seen is from spikes and forkeys. I imagine they are just coming into rut earlier and are really aggressive, while the big bucks arent having it yet. I think if this scene took place a couple weeks from now, that little fella wouldnt have stood a chance.

14. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That spike was probably from Kentucky. He must have came from south of the river is my only guess.

15. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe the spike was an Auburn fan!!!

16. NebraskaDeerKilln

NebraskaDeerKilln Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Amen brother