what crops are planted in your hunting area?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by eatanothertrophy, May 21, 2012.

1. eatanothertrophy

eatanothertrophy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love to hunt over beans and corn field edges. but which is my favorite? they both have their advantages but I believe corn is my favorite for several reasons. First corn is so tall you can get to your stands a little more undetected, second when beans are in the field deer will hit those early season as well as the acorns when the start to drop. with corn they seem to be easier to prdict on their food sources at certain times fo the year. Tell me what yall have experianced and think?

2. INbowhunter

INbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am hunting on the edge of a woods that is surrounded by corn fields. I LOVE this certain hunting spot because the deer use the grass area in between the corn and woods as a travel corridor and walk right into shooting range.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Either can be good and productive, but I choose beans for my plot this year. Mainly because they are easier to plant and have way less input costs associated with them. Since I an not farming for profit, this is a big factor.

4. MN-IN.A.TREE

MN-IN.A.TREE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Is it to much to ask for both? HA I don't hunt directly on the edge of either crop. But the surrounding properties are all agriculture which consist of beans, corn and pumpkins. early season last year I saw more deer come out of the corn or heading to it. Once the corn was out then most of the deer would mingle in the alfalfa and then head over to the beans.. Pretty straight forward. As for which crop I would rather hunt over, I would go with the beans simply because visibility is much better. And especially if that was the main food resource around and your not competing with other food sources.

5. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Both mixtures of beans and corn surround alot of my spots with small clover plots ive planted outside of bedding areas as kill plots. Our beans usually brown here before season starts so they are only good for summer video and trail cam pics.

6. Rory/MO

Rory/MO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    On the property I hunt will be almost all popcorn, with I believe one field of beans and another of rice. Not sure what we're going to plant in the 3 food plots yet.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  7. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We have over 600 ac of corn on three farms now and some soy going in the next week,are deer live in the corn here less bugs for them i guess and plenty of food all they do is step out to get a drink in the river. But late season will be great this year not like last year when the soy beans where harvested by mid bow season and the deer moved away.

8. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Southeast Kansas....the land of corn, beans, and wheat. I hunt travel corridors in the oak timber bridging these ag fields to bedding areas.

9. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The properties I hunt have mixtures of beans, corn, alfalfa, and winter wheat. I love hunting the beans. The alfalfa was fantastic last year for me when the beans sucked.

10. rizzo999

rizzo999 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Almost all corn with a field of alfalfa thrown in on one property. About 2 years ago I began forcing myself to bow hunt away from the field edges and it has paid off immensely. I would see plenty of button bucks and fawns with does during daylight hours on the field edges. So, for me personally it does not matter what is planted in the field as the deer where I hunt stage in the red and white oaks prior to entering the field at last light or after dark. I prefer to increase my odds on those deer by (hopefully) catching them before they even get to the field edges.

In 2010 I decided to move into the woods 50-75 yards and hunt trails that were parallel to the field edges that also would have 1-3 intersecting trails. Also, I would try to position between bedding areas in the AM and just outside of bedding areas in the PM. My sighting with more mature deer increased in addition to just overall more deer sightings...especially in the PM and late AM.

11. Edcyclopedia

Edcyclopedia Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    O-Natural, we let mother nature take care of the growing, we hunt what she provides...