What brassica seed do you like?

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Mckaax, May 2, 2014.

1. Mckaax

Mckaax Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What mixes do you like the most. What have you used that works the best? Who sells it at the best price?

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    For year's we've used various and have had good results from Evolved Habitat's blend but last year we had great results despite low rain count all late summer/early fall with Monsterraxx's new seed blends. They offer now two different seed types Last Heart Beet and Raxx Factor.....keep an eye out as they will be available this year.

3. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Overall though a good brassica blend will have a blend of bulb/root production style ones like Turnips or radishes as well as some leafy browse based ones like Rape.

4. Mckaax

Mckaax Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not seeing any seed on their website

5. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I mixed Evolved Habitat ShotPlot brassicas along with a bag of Spike Plot that contained ryegrass, clover, and chicory to plant a few small honey hole plots. It should go well together and I will be out at my property this weekend after a week of good rain and some sun so I expect to see some growth. I will try to remember and take a few pictures.

EDIT: I really like brassicas, clover and chicory for the spring and turnips and snap peas for the fall. The deer typically leave the turnips and snap peas alone when planted in the fall until the first frost which is fine because there's typically enough foliage until that first frost anyway. Then the turnips and snap peas might just keep the deer around long enough to help you get that late season buck trying to recover from the rut.

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  6. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I do a mix of bulb/root producing along with more forage/leaf mixes.

Purple Top Turnips, Dwarf Essex Rape, and Ground Hog Forage radish has done well for me. I buy all of the seed at my local Co-Op.

7. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly, I stated will be available. If interested contact Tom here goes by Monsterraxx

8. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We used the Mossy Oak Biologic "Brassicas" stuff last year and it was awesome!

9. huairs

huairs Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I love this Dwarf Essex Rape

10. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    Doesn't that stuff only grow about 4-6" tall?
    I think we used that stuff for a couple of years, because the brassicas that we planted only got about 4" tall then I did some research and found that dwarf rape is supposed to do that. Last year we switched to a variety of brassicas and turnip and it got 2-4 ' tall.

11. trvsmarine

trvsmarine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No they get alot taller than that. We had brassicas last year almost knee high. Bulbs and turnips the size of a softball and radishes the size of bananna's [​IMG]

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

12. trvsmarine

Dislikes Received:
    That picture is from the Frigid Forage "big n beasty" blend

13. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    But does big n beasty have a variety of brassicas or just dwarf rape?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. bluecollaroutdoors

bluecollaroutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Big-N-Beasty ? 2 Acres - Frigid ForageVivant Forage Turnips, Bonar Forage Rape, Sugar Beets, Dwarf Essex Rape, Purple Top Turnips, and Daikon Forage Radish. I dont have a bag and will never buy it to see the exact % of each, but thats the mix.

At 8.25 a lb plus about 12 dollars shipping its a no brainer for me to avoid it. I am sure its a great mix but.....
    I can get Vivant, Bonar, DER, PTT and Daikon from the local Co Op no need to pay twice as much plus shipping for it.

None of that stuff cost me more than 3.50 a lb and rape was just over a buck a lb.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  15. trvsmarine

Dislikes Received:
    I dont pay for shipping either. I order it on cyber monday when they offet free shipping on everything.

16. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    20131020_110628.jpg

this is deer creek seed's brassica blend

17. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Come the fall....any of them that grew...come the winter any of them that grew and are still present :) I recently have started utilizing Monster Raxx. Still get some other various seed types for trial but yeah...

18. Hoyt23

Hoyt23 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have had good luck with both shot plot and tall tine tubers. I would definitely mix in radishes with either for a strong early season attraction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love brassicas! I have tried 4 kinds so far....i have used frigid forage, evolved harvest, co-op seed, and whitetail institute. The frigid forage big-n-beasty grew the tallest, some of it 3 feet! The deer ate most of it. The evolved harvest and co-op seed did not impress me (or the deer). By far the one the deer most preferred has been whitetail institute's winter greens. It grew to about 18" and by the end of December the plots were bare dirt. I'm expanding both plots this year to plant more. Every time i sat those plots last year i saw deer. Winter greens has Siberian kale, a turnip they developed for deer, and several other brassicas.

Sent from my C5170 using Tapatalk

20. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The whitetail institutes wintergreen's is nutritionally sound and there is one thing in theirs that is the Key....but it's 2x the price than what it should be. If one used the same ingredients.

The frigid forage appears to be sound, except for i'd push the seeding rates on it a tad. It's better than many.

Shotplot should be $2 a lb and again half the price of what they charge. If one mixes bonar rape with turnips, you'd be just as happy.

Again, i talk about this anywhere i do seminars..With many of these big name companies...check the testing date and how fresh the seed it. Legally in many states it needs to be retested every year. Putting a new sticker over an old one doesn't help seed germinate any better. So many places out there are selling seed that they shouldn't.

Here is some little known midwest companies that i'd look towards that have a great price point and aren't product sellers, they care about their clients and will help "consult" verses selling you a bag of seed.

advanced whitetails
    deercreek seed
    horny buck seed co
    kesters nursery

all people as honest as they come.....