What bow to get kids into archery?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Logman, Nov 17, 2022.

1. Logman

Logman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hello. My kids are showing an interest in archery and we are thinking of getting them bows for Christmas. I have a 10 year old girl and twin 6 year old boys.

We bought a Bear brave for my daughter a couple years ago. Is the Bear Brave still good?

What bows are solid quality bows to get them shooting? What should look at? Something that you an actually tie a d loop on, etc.

2. Jeremy/PA

Jeremy/PA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am looking into a bow for my 8yo and I am leaning towards the Mission Radik.

There is also the Hoyt Kobalt.

I saw both of them at LAS and they are both nice. Hope this helps start the looking.

Logman likes this.
  3. kyner

kyner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My grandson is about a year away from getting started (6 years old). I am looking at the Mathews mission. Seems like a very versatile bow he can "grow" into. Lots of adjustments as he grows

Logman likes this.
  4. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have two 11 year old boys. They both have Diamond Infinite Edge bows. These are adjustable bows that will grow with your kids. I would recommend that for your daughter. You can pick up decent used ones on ebay for cheap. I think the two bows cost me around $175 and other than needing to be adjusted to fit, were in good enough shape for kids that are learning.

It would be too much for the younger boys. I would pick up another Bear Brave so they each have their own. That is more age appropriate. My five-year-old has one.

Logman likes this.
  5. miamijessejames

miamijessejames Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The Mission bows are very good. I got a Radik for my younger son when he was seven. It maxes out at 50lbs at 28 in. I shot it maxed out before I set it up for him and was very impressed with the quality. It definitely exceeded my expectations for the price. The Mission Hammr will go to 70 lbs at 30 inches, providing more growing potential.

Both of my boys shot a Bear Brave when they were younger. It’s definitely a viable option for introducing a kid to archery.

Black Eagle Arrows
    60X Custom Strings
    Tooth of the Arrow Broadheads

Logman likes this.
  6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I started my kids with a Genesis Mini, which is good for those 6-7 year olds. My older son is 10 and has moved into the Mission Hammr, which should last him well into his teens.

The issue with the little kids is their ability to hold the bow up and shoot. Most of the bows that are super adjustable are meant to grow with the kids as they get older, but they're a little too much bow for the 5-6-7 year olds. That's where that Genesis really fits in nicely. I put a whisker biscuit on it, got him a shooting glove and an arm guard and let it rip. I never bothered with a release, sight, etc. At that age it was all about flinging arrows at targets, no matter where they hit.

That's just the way I'm doing it - which doesn't mean it's right or the only way.

Logman and MUDSHARK like this.
  7. Logman

Logman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys! I have some research to do.

8. Heritage

Heritage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I started my kids in the Genesis bows, then graduated up to the Diamond Infinite Edge.