What are you WANTING to do this upcoming deer season?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by dukemichaels, May 20, 2009.

1. dukemichaels

dukemichaels Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    With turkey season coming to an end around much of the country.. I know quite a few of you will be gearing up for the whitetail season.. and well.. I'm interested to know what everyone is looking for out of this season.

Yes.. yes.. I know we all are looking to have fun.. but what are YOU personally looking for while in the deer woods this season..

-Your best buck?
    -A book buck?
    -A public land whitetail?
    -At least the taking of 5 does...???
    -Just to beat Quicksilver?

What..??

What are you looking for when opening day comes around.. what are your plans for the season and how you're going about to accomplish this "goal".. who do you want on your wall or in your freezer???

Do tell.

2. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Primary goal is to help my sons kill a deer with their bow. They have been shooting alot, so I think that goal has a decent chance of happening. My goal is to kill a buck with more than 8pts, something I've never done.

3. mobow

mobow Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I want a "nice" 8 point or better. My definition of nice? 100" would do just fine. Then I am waiting for a 130+. So, what do I WANT? I want 2 bucks, and I just haven't decided how many does yet. At least 1 and the rest just depends on which farms I actually hunt this year.

Do I have a realistic shot at my "wish list?" Yes.

4. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have never shot a 150+ inch buck. So every year my goal is to get one.

5. dukemichaels

Dislikes Received:
    Beautiful Mobow.. that's what I wanted to hear.. no bs.. just "I want 2 bucks"..

Awesome.. and I hope you get them both.

What are you doing though.. to get them both? Or just one? Anything?

6. mobow

mobow Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We've put in quite a lot of work at a property I hunt, and I could have killed more than 1 buck that meets my "nice" definition there each of the last 4 years. But for whatever reason, I thought I needed to kill something bigger so I've let them all walk. Not this year my friend. Not this year. I made a decision after last season. I can kill 3 bucks a year in MO, so I'm putting down the first "nice" one I get a shot at, then I'll wait out a big one. So anyway, back to the question. We've replanted food plots and scouted out a couple of new stand sites and cleared some underbrush. I've also gotten access to another farm in northern MO that should be a producer. It's all about location, ya know. ;)

Ok, so in short....Put in work on existing property to make hunting better and gained access to new lands. I'm also reading what I can here on BH.com and anywhere else about bedding areas. I'm scouring over maps and learning to identify bedding areas.

7. Double Creek

Double Creek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I want a certain public land buck. I hope the time I put in scouting him will payoff, I have some killer trees picked out.

8. Jim_IV

Jim_IV Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well........

-I want to kill a buck in my home county, which I've never done:bash:

-I've always want to kill a deer in another state (I have new access to some great land in Ok, so its highly possible):cool:

-Kill a buck whose gross score would make the books (my best buck to date was last year with a bow, scored 117 and some change):d

-Kill a buck not around any kind of food source (I typically hunt around/by a feeder or a food plot. I just feel like I need to learn to pattern my bucks as opposed to sitting by a feeder):evil:

9. magicman54494

magicman54494 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    pretty much the same as other years. I always set out to take a big buck with my bow and rifle in Wis. And a big one with rifle in Minn. I can't wait for the snow to fly so I can get on a track again. That has become my new love.

10. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I want to take a nice buck out of Brown County this year, last year I screwed up. I am hoping to hit a piece of property in Pope County, Illinois that has Pope and Young 6 pointers on it so I can take one. I am also hunting an old piece of Property where I cut my teeth and hoping that pans out if the other two don't. Last but not least there is a new piece of property that a buddy of mine picked up and he is supposed to be getting me a note to hunt it, something like 1800 acres or so and we are the only ones allowed on it.

I plan to run down to Brown in early September to hang a couple of stands in key points I found last year. In Pope there is a section of the property that requires one to cross the creek so nobody hunts it, that is where I plan to take the sweet 6 if I get down there. The other property where I cut my teeth has a stand 30 foot up over a creek where the deer travel along a treeline into a section of woods, scary stand but the only one worth hunting for big bucks. Then there is a piece of property that my friend picked up. That piece will be looked over from Google Earth, then I will walk it to see if there are any prime spots to hang a few stands.

11. jag-mag

jag-mag Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Watch my first year bowhunting son take a deer[any size] roll the eight pointer
    that I let walk last year, he will be a nice buck this year.

12. MObowhunter10

MObowhunter10 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    shoot a 150" buck with a bow, and kill at least 3 does with my bow....I was 10 yards away from acheiving that goal this past season

13. LAEqualizer

LAEqualizer Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I want to take at least 1 deer with my recurve. I will be hunting with both compound and recurve. (Different areas) I want to take a buck with either bow. What am I doing now? I am shooting a good bit. I am rehashing stand sites in my mind that have been productive in the past, and ideas for new spots I have yet to hang in. Also, I have considered quite a bit as to whether I want to change anything up as far as tactics. (I feel "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but it never hurts to shine it up a bit.)

Bobby

14. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    You can't start a thread like this without first answering the question yourself. :mad1:

I refuse to answer until the thread starter contributes his 2 cents.

15. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I WAS wanting to secure my first private land hunting spot. I worked my tail off talking with people and such and had it "all" worked out. The entire plan fell after months of work. It would have been PRIME territory for killing a big deer. Oh well, it was meant to be and I am more committed than ever to kill a nice buck on the military base I hunt.

It seems that my overall kill desires seem to have been settled on around 1 doe and 1 buck each year. I am happy if that is what I can achieve each year.

I want to continue to improve my stand placement. Each year I seem to be getting better at setting up closer to deer. I don't seem to be seeing as many deer, but the deer I see are closer and the bucks seem to be getting bigger. Many of you guys help me out so much with your opinions and experience. When you talk, I listen and try to improve.

I want to focus on a 400-500 acre spot near a lake I hunt. It seems to have at least a couple larger bucks that use the remote nature of the lake edges to bed/hide from the hunting pressure. I have scouted a ton in that area, putting my boots to the ground. I have also studied topo/aerial maps and have consulted with a couple of forum members as to what their opinions are of the terrain of this area.

I want to become a better shot. I am going to buy new sights with smaller pin sights so that I can focus better at ranges of 30-35 yards just in case I get a good shot on a buck.

I want to see the buck I came close to killing last year near the lake, he would make all 17 seasons of hunting worth it. All the days sitting in the freezing cold not knowing what I was doing would be expressed in that one buck.

I am excited to travel and hunt outside of Virginia for the first time since I began hunting, travelling down to KILL a nice deer with GMMAT.

16. dukemichaels

Dislikes Received:
    I want world peace. I know that.:d

I want Justin to kill a awesome whitetail when I'm behind the camera and I get awesome footage of it all.. then I want to take awesome pics of it all. I want that.

I really don't care what my hunting season brings me.. I'm back in the place I was last year where I don't even care when hunting season begins.. I don't today. I'll answer this Q very honestly when I care again... in like September.

I only know I want to UP my game. (so to speak).

Happy now?

Answer the question.

C'mon we're waiting big talker.

17. mnbowhunter

mnbowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    i want to harvest my first deer ever with a bow.

i actually want to be able to say i have worked hard on my hunting land and worked hard at getting my first deer. I have never even put my sights on a actual real animal before. so a deer this season would be the best thing ever. starting from scratch and end up coming out with a deer would be really :cool:

18. LAEqualizer

LAEqualizer Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You Suck!:deer:

19. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I want to add one buck to the wall and kill at least 5 does.

20. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I want my main hunting areas to have a good acorn crop this year. If that happens, the rest will take care of itself.