What are you doing to get ready?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by OK/Sooner, Jul 3, 2013.

1. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Since I did not draw a Bull Tag this season a renewal of Extreme ELK Magazine was in order to keep the dream alive with the brothers and sisters that are getting some work done.

I need ta get some better running shoes.

2. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just installed my Blackhawk Serpa Glock 20 holster on my pack belt... right side for a quick draw while bowhunting.

Brown Bear may get me on my moose float yet... but not before I get 10-12 shots off as he gnaws on my legs...

As far as fitness goes, I've all but quit the weight room at this point. Maybe going 2 days a week and focusing more on running outside to get my lung capacity back up. Almost exactly a month out from heading west now.

3. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Been hiking in the mountains twice a week. Short hikes mostly. A friend from Ill-annoys came to visit and we tried to make the Nebo summit but we ran out of time. Need to start before noon. Lol.

We made it to the ridge behind my hubby in this picture.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My legs do pretty good now but my toes kill me coming down off the mountain. It's amazing how much a sore toe will slow you down. :(

4. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

This is Awesome! Thanks for the Great pics and views of the mountains!

5. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That Nebo hike is a good hike. I have been doing a little better with my little hikes. 26 days and the bow hunt starts

6. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Been running a couple miles every day, nothing too major. I find myself getting more and more excited with each passing day. An elk hunt with both my brothers and my dad is gonna be something I will never forget.

7. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Breath in, breath out...

8. Bails-UK

Bails-UK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I been hitting the stairs and press ups, 45lbs on my back for a walk tomorrow, then running Tuesday. I stopped running for a while as I dropped too much weight but going back on it now till camp.

9. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bumping this to the top.

Plan on hunting Montana for elk this year. Been slowly adding gear and working out. Doing a lot of weight exercises for now then I'll be switching to cardio in a month.

10. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's never too early to get ready for elk.
    Luckily I'm much further ahead for early Feb than usual as I usually slack off big time around the holidays and start the year slow. Didn't get a way from it too much this year...only goal for now is 5 workout per week, typically 30 minutes...could be 3-4mile run, treadmill, stairmill, or elliptical...mixed with a couple days of free weights or body weight. Busy schedule so try to keep it around 30 min, typically done late at night after kids in bed.
    My active kids keep me motivated, as does our active family outings, and just the desire to be healthy...but those dang elk probably help motivate me more than anything:)

Keep up the good work!

11. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Only 7 months until go time. I can't wait to get back out there. Been on my mountain bike the last few weeks with our unusually warm weather.

It will be here before we know it.

12. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd love to have been working out, but I'm having a few minor health problems prohibiting me from it right now. Heading to the doctor today to see what I'm gonna be able to do.

13. Vinoex

Vinoex Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm planing a trip in September. I'm starting to try and get in shape for it. I plan on training up for a 5K and supplement running with hiking and simple workouts.

14. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I live at low altitude and use a restrictive breathing device for interval training to help simulate thin air scenarios for hunts. 3-5 days a week training regiments (depending on my work schedule), mostly intervals, closer to season I do stamina training and usually enter a half marathon or two.

15. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Been running intervals and lifting weights. Was in Idaho elk hunting two years ago and was in a lot better shape. I was 210 at the end of that trip and started this February at 255. Down about 10 pounds. Started using some of the wilderness athlete stuff and like it. It isn't a magical system, but something that helps me keep on track. Hoping to get down to 200 before September.

Before last trip I ran a lot and walked hills with pack. The lifting should shock my body since I haven't done it since high school. Pretty excited to get back out west and try for an elk. No success first trip. I like our chances this year. Learning curve isn't as steep. Still a ton to learn though. We'll be sitting on wallows quietly a lot of the time.

16. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't been doing much cardio because it's been extremely cold and I hate running on the treadmill. Got out today for the first time and struggled but that was expected. Plan on hitting it hard soon and have a 5k in April.

Also still working on buying everything I need. Got the boots about a week ago so the break in process will begin this weekend. The pack will be the next big purchase.

17. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good thread. I too have been guilty of little to no cardio during the past few months of cold weather. As a result, I have packed on a few lbs (a lot of muscle, but regrettably not ALL muscle lol). Been hitting the weights 6 days a week. Two days of legs, Back/Bis, Chest/Tris, Shoulders, and Arms. Abs every other day as an add on.

Worked for getting stronger, but useless for hunting purposes I found out last fall. I will switch to 6 days of intensive cardio with two days of legs and two upper body days mixed in.... as soon as the weather warms up that is.

Stadium runs and flat out hiking with a pack uphill are the only two things that can prepare you for the mountains. If you don't have access to these on a regular basis, then leg days and cardio to push your lung capacity are the next best alternative.

18. kiwibowhunter

kiwibowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My training is exercise 4 days a week (running up hills with weight, exercycle and light weights). Bow practice a few times a week. And of course deer, tahr and chamois hunting! Next big trip is 10 days in Fiorldand hunting elk from 5 April. Just hope the high altitude doesn't knock me around too much in WY.

19. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Got in 4 miles running last night. Been in gym mostly. Nice to get outside. Much easier on my knees running on trails. Only 5 months away for elk for me. Not that I'm counting.

20. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Been running and lifting a lot more. Should be strapping on the pack this weekend and climbing up some mountains.

Still feel a little behind but it's slowly coming together.