Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

What are you doing to get ready?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by OK/Sooner, Jul 3, 2013.

1. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been shooting at least twice a weekend when its warm outside. My brother in law and I are putting together our plans for the upcoming season. Just gotta say that I love being a bowhunter

Sent from my SAMSUNG Infuse 4G

2. 93firebird

93firebird Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I made some room for a shooting lane in my basement out through the garage door. Got my short range sight dialed in on my new Balistic. Onlys shooting about 15 arrows a session until my muscle endurance builds up for the increased draw weight.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

3. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Picked up a dozen new Arrows and a Vortex Ranger 1000 for my son. Need to go shoot a few and watch em fly.

- Will be on the incline bench tonight.

4. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We went out yesterday and shot a couple of carp. :) Felt good to get some shooting in.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

5. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Been doing a lot of planning, cleaning up farms, fields and food plots, prescribed burning as well. Met and had a consultation with Grant Woods, the man, the legend...last Friday and will be working with him on tweaking the ranch management this year. New hidey hole food plots, tons of public road screens, new crop rotations and cover crop species...going to be a hell'uv'a year. Focus on quail restoration from a personal standpoint. Going to be running a few quail surrogator machines in 2014 as well to try out so we'll see how that goes. Busiest year yet...should be pretty amazing.

Been looking for sheds along the way but have yet to really have any luck in that department.

6. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My doctor told me today that my knee issue is in fact Patella Tendonitis most likely caused from over developed quads. So, I can begin working out again. Came home and spent three hours shoveling our 12" of new snow (have about 6" of new **** since then) and hit the elliptical for an hour. Going to continue to work on my diet, have been fast food free for three months.

My cholesterol was 107 in 2011 and 243 today. For my size and weight (5'10" 175#) it is likely a genetic issue and something I will likely have to go on meds for.... Awesome! Not.

Once I get back into decent cardio shape I will begin pack workouts with 50-60# loads.

7. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Still keeping it simple as we continue to have cold and snow. Friday was a rare sunny day near 40, and roads somewhat cleared, when for run on one of my usual road ways - 4.4 miles but includes the biggest incline around up a steep bluff...sure felt good to run outside for a change.
    Otherwise just sticking to about 30 min per day with goal of 6 days per week. 2-3 are treadmill, 1 is stairmill, other 2-3 are free weights or quick video at home.

Still need to fire a few more arrows each week - but I know that will be much easier as temps warm and daylight increases.

Keep up the good work fellas!

8. SPOTnSTALK

Dislikes Received:
    Work, work, and more work. Trying to get breaks between to focus on "the other muscle groups" that need attention. Picked up two Eastman's DVDs that were mule deer and ELK bow only. Love these DIY hunts, good motivators. Should get time to shoot this evening if all goes well and X2 on keep up the good work brothers! The season is right around the corner.

9. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Lol, brought to mind a slight change in the Game of Thrones motto of "Winter is coming"....I'm adopting the phrase, "Season is coming" :lol:

10. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Got my bow strings replaced and blindly ran 100 arrows through it last night to ensure no initial peep rotation. Will sight it in to 20/30 today and dial in longer pins this weekend.

Fletched up 24 FMJ shafts last night as well. 12 FPs and 12 Slick Tricks. Ready to hit the woods by Monday.

Been doing free weights at 6am daily. Arms/shoulders, legs, chest/tris, legs, arm/shoulders, lower/upper back, rest... Repeat. Run every other day in the evenings varying from 3-6 miles depending on how jelly-like my legs are from leg days that week.

Will switch emphasis over to more cardio/less weights come June.

Try to get out and hike 6-10 miles on Saturdays/Sundays if the weather allows. Was 71 and sunny this past Sunday.

11. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Phrasing.

12. CowboyColby

CowboyColby Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Aikido twice a week, basketball once a week, eating healthier, and working out at home 3 times a week. I have never had any problems in the mountains. Just pace myself taking my time enjoying my hunt. Good luck to eveyone

13. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Been hitting the mountain bikes trails pretty hard right now. I try an take my boy on a couple 5 mile hikes a week also. Trying to get the break in miles on my new kenetreks behind me(even though im not sure they need it). Will start playing basketball as soon as the time chages.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

14. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's only Feb and a I'm already doing a lot of daydreaming...:)
    But that does typically lead to motivation for working out...keep up the good work fellas!

15. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You and me both. Been shooting 36 arrows daily breaking in the new strings. 6am weight room before class/work day then 30-60 mins cardio when I get home in the afternoons. Try to mix running 5 or so miles in with hill sprints, stairs, etc to break up the monotony. Hike/kayak/bike/etc on weekends.

Really trying to kick my rear into shape for the first time in my life

16. CowboyColby

CowboyColby Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    TEmbry sounds like your on it buddy. I wish I had that motivation. It will pay off for you.

17. SPOTnSTALK

Dislikes Received:
    Got some free time off and was able to make it to the archery park. The course has a ton of targets and a pretty extensive hiking trail course. It is not hard core but real fun. Loaded up my pack and didn't take it off. I shot the course well then shot the base range below the trail course. This is one of many at the last target on the field set out 100 yards. I shot myself to pieces at this one from 105 yards and the pic is right before I left the range.
    Good Day!
    Great Leg Burn!
    Shot well with full Pack and will pay for this tomorrow.

18. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I feel you on the daydreaming Matt. I spend a lot of my weekends hashing and re-hashing how I'm going to go into this season and what I need to do to get ready. I should probably start doing something, but the crazy weather has sapped a lot of my motivation to get out and exercise.

19. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    With you guys on day dreaming. I'm always thinking of new areas to look at. I need to shoot more. I have been walking up on the mountain about 4 times a week.

20. SPOTnSTALK

Dislikes Received:
    I want an ELK TAG!