Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

What are the odds?

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by dawg007, Feb 6, 2011.

1. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What are the odds to have this much history with a buck? Here goes the story.....

On my walks to find shed I found a 6 point left side on Feb. 25th 2008 and was happy to find it. At the time it had no meaning but a very nice shed. I did not think anything about it. I then got some trail cam pics of a very nice 12 point buck on Oct. 22nd and Dec. 8th of 2008. I was on the hunt for this fella the whole season without even seeing him one time while I was in the stand. The next shed season came along and a few of my friends said that they have seen some deer that shed already. I decided to go for a short walk on Jan. 3rd 2009 to find out if any in my area where dropping. I was not even 50 yards into my hunt from my truck I found the 12 point set that was on the buck in my trail cam pics! On into the next hunting season I had my eyes set on shooting that brute if he came by. On Nov. 10th 2009 I got a trail cam pic of my buck again and he lost two of the points he had on his right side. I then had him at 25 yards at 7:45 am on Nov. 13th 2009. I drew back my bow and stopped him in his tracks. I then let the arrow fly to hear a loud whap and watched the arrow fly over the back of the buck into the river. It was a clean miss and the buck ran off. I ended up clipping a berry bush. He got to the top of the hill and looked back for a second then off he went. I then started talking to a guy that wanted me to score some of his sheds for him. I went over to his house and took my set with me. He then said "You will not believe this!" He then came out of a room with an antler that matched my right antler but was a lot smaller. After both of us decided that it was the same buck he gave me the antler due to mine being the bigger antler. I then started to look at my antlers to see that the 6 point that I found in 2008 had a lot of same curves and base curves like the others. The tines where the same and everything. I was just not positive. I looked all shed season for that set on the buck I missed with no luck! The next hunting season came and boy was it a good season. I did not see a really big deer until my hunt on Dec. 9th 2010. I had 4 does on me right at light. I grabbed my bow to try and get a shot on the bigger doe to fill my last either sex tag. When I turned in my stand it made some noise due to it being cold. It was only 1 degree out not counting the wind chill. A little bit later I noticed some legs on the same trail as the does came in on. Seeing that the does went on that trail to my shooting hole to my right I got into position to shoot at the spot again early so my stand did not make any noise. As the deer got closer I noticed a very nice rack. I then kept my eyes on the body of the deer and telling myself "Don’t screw this up!" I drew back and let the arrow fly! I then found him a bit later. I did not think about it for a while but then I was getting my antlers ready to be scored for the NASHC. I noticed that my buck had some similar characteristics as my sheds. I then took all my sheds and my bucks rack with me. The scorer also said that this is the same deer due to a lot being the same from the sheds to my buck. I was so happy to have sheds and the buck. Now he has a lot more meaning and I will probably never find sheds to a buck like I have with this one. Here are the sheds and my buck! I will put all in order that he would have grown!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  2. Outdrdave

Outdrdave Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    thats great Steve!!

3. DropTine249

DropTine249 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's incredible.

4. BowFreak

BowFreak Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Love to hear history stories with deer. Congrats Steve!!

5. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Heck of a History you have had with this deer, as cool as it gets man! Great buck once again!

6. Dickie Tunes

Dickie Tunes Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    wow, thats awesome when you put it all together like that it really makes sense.

7. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I went to a Pope & Young scorer with my buck tonight and he scored out at 126 5/8 inches! The scorer also said that he agrees that the sheds are the sheds from my buck! Now for the bad part. I dropped the 6 point left side antler on my tile in my house and the G-3 chipped at the top. :(

8. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the buck, sheds and history !!

Tim

9. Hoyt 'N' It

Hoyt 'N' It Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    awesome history and story with that buck steve!

10. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here is a closer look at my 11 pointers rack!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]