Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

What are some of your other non-hunting related hobby's??

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by SevenMag, Jul 31, 2008.

1. SevenMag

SevenMag Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I keep a few going at all times... I'm an avid snowmobiler (though taking a 2 season break this year), been taking guitar lessons now for about 5-6 months, of course there's my home brewing but that's only about 6-8 times a year... have been a big motorcycle guy for years, kinda got out of it when my first kid showed up, plannin on gettin back in probably next fall sometime... I golf a bit, but not like I used to, kids takin up to much time lately...

what are your vices??

2. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love to fish, and I used to be nearly obsessed with building/tuning cars. I've sold my project cars off and will probably do it again someday when I own my house and am retired, but it's just too expensive to go fast these days and there are too many other things to put my money into for now.

I also love beer. :beer:

3. Buck Magnet

Buck Magnet Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am huge into fishing, trout fishing and smallmouth bass fishing in streams is probablly my biggest hobby. Along with that, I love ATV riding, photography, boating, camping, and like Matt... I love some good beer... Yuengling Black & Tan, Arrogant Bastard Ale, Dogfish Head, Sam Adams, ect.

4. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My first obsession was tennis... played five hours every single day through high school and into college. I don't play hardly at all these days. Someone called me up and asked me to play an area tournament a couple years ago, and I literally almost killed myself; at least it felt like it! The talent was still there, but the body.... uh, not so much. Unfortunately, the talent part took me to the finals in both singles and doubles and I couldn't walk for three whole days after that. :D

I used to do a lot of frogging with my father, and we've probably paddled thousands of miles down Southeast Missouri ditches chasing croakers. We also raised beagles growing up, and I doubt I could eat another rabbit as long as I live. We also fished a great deal, ran log traps, trotlines and jugged as well.

These days, it's pretty much all I can do to keep up with my bowhunting as my kids get older, and still try to get some writing in as well.

5. MN/Kyle

MN/Kyle Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    <---fishing. Smallies and Walleyes on the River.

Also: working my lab, cruisin' on the pontoons late at night, pheasant hunting.

What does beer taste like, anyway?

6. AF HUNTER RET

AF HUNTER RET Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Fishing, Photography (see www.iowegianphotos.typepad.com), ATV riding, chess, mowing (good thing I like it, takes 30 hours to mow this place). That's all I have time for...

7. Diesel77

Diesel77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Non hunting related hobbies would be drag racing, building cars, and working around the house.

8. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Some of you that know me might get a chuckle here.

Growing up from 13-18 I was a Nationally competitive BMX Racer and also made homemade beer and wine. Our family had a homebrewing business called "Lil Olde Winemaking Shoppe" which was my first sponsor, luckily Mountain Dew picked us up a little later:cool:

From 18-28 I was heavily involved in Snowboarding and ran a shop for nearly 8 years and almost left that to get into gatebashing but instead opted for a real job:confused:

I have always loved to fish, my father is a huge fishing nut and has fished in Redman, MidWest BASS, BASS, and a few other smaller circuits down in Arkansas. I love Smallies and Largemouths but don't fish much with my schedule.

I was also into Crotch Rockets for about 5 years, had a GSXR 1100 with a 1206 kit, Nitrous, extended swingarm, air shifter, polished and chromed out and customer painted. I still miss that death trap.

I had a Snowmobile for a while, MXZ 670 and later MXZ 700, both yello and nicknamed Picachou by my friends.

I have been in and out of the gym my whole life and recently taken a couple of years off because of a broken elbow and lack of drive. I am fixin to get back in next week and got two old training partners ready to kick my arse.

Outside of that it's been deer hunting.

9. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I used to be into cars quite a bit as well, but like Rick James I gave it up after it got too expensive and started infringing on my hunting funds. :D It seemed like every month I was replacing/rebuilding something. Aside from that I enjoy playing softball, even though I'm not particularly good at it. Photography is fun, but also expensive if you want to do it right. And I try to go to as many concerts as I can, although now that I'm older I don't seem to to go as many as I used to. When I was 18-19 it seemed like there were 2-3 a month. Now it's 2-3 a year. And I fish when I can, but not too much or too seriously. Back in High School duke and I used to fish until our fingers bled. Now I hit up the pond in my neighborhood once a week or so and hook a few bass and that's about it.

10. SevenMag

SevenMag Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was into that as well... had a twin turbo 91 Mustang GT... ran in the 10's on pump gas... sold it off when i had kids... STUPID!!! I'll do another car someday, not that far out there, but the 'plan' is to do a Factory Five Racing Shelby Cobra kit car... the wife is dying for a red convertible, figure a tame 5.0L with a 5spd tremec should do the job for her and i'll enjoy it as well... but not til I get my harley...

11. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Nice dude! My buddy had a TT '92 Notch that ran low 11's on pump gas. He blew it up awhile back at Union Grove and is still in the process of "fixing" it. The o-ring on the oil filter blew out as he was shutting it down, it lost all oil pressure and spun the cam bearings. Needless to say, it ended up on a trailer on the way home. :D

I had a '95 Gen 1 Lightning with a blower on it for a few years. Ran low 13's which wasn't bad for a big ass truck. Sold it a few years ago and I still regret it. :cry:

12. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    During the summer I play softball several night a week. I also spend a ton of time out on my boats fishing!

During the winter I am an avid ice fisherman. I compete in many tournaments in NY, WI, MI, IL, MN. It is a great tourment series with a nice payout and unlike any ice fishing that anyone has ever seen before. It is total run and gun fishing. All panfish and we rarely will ever fish a hole for more then 2-3 minutes if the fish aren't biting. if anyone is interested in getting involved shoot me a pm. I also love spending the winter out on my snowmobile.

13. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love carpentry, fishing, playing softball, and making money.:d

Although this is hunting related, shed hunting consumes me from early Feb-mid April.

14. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We got a few fast stangs in my hood, one guy builds pro 5.0 and 5.0 outlaw cars. We have a 93LX convert that got disqualified for running in the low 9's in a 10inch street class event. They claim it dyno's around 1000hp:hail: It still isn't legal to run under 10 seconds at the strip. If you are ever around Elgin and see a Maroon LX and a black top check it out, it has a nice whistle to it:cool:

15. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Raceway- let me know next time you go race! I would love to go watch and that isn't far from me.

16. stikbow26

stikbow26 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Flyfishing up here in Michigan trout steelhead salmon I don't care!! Walt

17. stikbow26

Dislikes Received:
    Here is one from the St.Mary's river by the international bridge!!Walt
    [​IMG]

18. stikbow26

Dislikes Received:
    One of my daughter in Febuary!!!
    [​IMG]

19. OKbowhunter

OKbowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like carpentry. I built basically everything in my room that is made of wood. Everything else in my house that is made of wood, was made by my grandpa. He was a carpenter and mason his whole life, and he taught me what I know.

Even though it's my job, I enjoy farm work and being aroung ag related things in general. I used to raise pigs, but I just didn't have enough time to keep up with all of them, and I sold out my "business" at the beginning of this year.

Other than that, I do all the fun redneck stuff. Like fishing in creeks during the summer and gigging for frogs all night. There was a time when frog gigging consumed 4/5 of my summer nights.

20. Mo_bowhnter

Mo_bowhnter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love fishing and golf. They are my two hobbies. I play in a golf league at work every Tuesday and try to fish on the weekends. Rain has been spoiling those plans lately. :bash: We are going to do some wading for smallmouth on Sunday.

Right now I am in the process of cutting out a knife blank from an old 10" circular saw blade to make my first knife. I'll post pics if I ever get around to finding time to work on it. Although I haven't done a lot of it, metal working is a lot of fun to me being that I'm going to school to be a metallurgical engineer.

Other than that, I enjoy barbecuing and drinking some beers with my dad probably 3-4 times a week.