Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

What all is needed for a first time crossbow user?

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by AUbowhunter, Dec 10, 2011.

1. AUbowhunter

AUbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am getting my dad a Horton Bonecollector for Christmas. I have a vertical bow but don't know a lot about crossbows. I have been seeing some things about rail lube etc. I was hoping yall had some advice on everything needed with a crossbow. Including what you do to let down on the string, equipment needed and string replacement? Thanks I always learn a lot from this site.

2. Dhaines

Dhaines Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Get a ready-to-hunt package. Get one where you can add a cocking assist if one is needed. There are some good cranking ones and pulley ones, it is all about ability and pref. then just the regular hunting stuff.

3. wolvenkinde

wolvenkinde Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    definitely need the lube -should use every 3 shots at least...amazing how much it can affect velocity/trajectory...cocking assist a must as maintains consistancy in bowstring centering...and easier. As Dhaines said ready to hunt package hopefully with good xbow scope(avoid red dot if possible-my opinion)...expanding broadheads rated for xbows probl'y to.

4. Crossbow Jared

Crossbow Jared Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have yet to use rail lube??? Don't know of anybody that uses it. And yes I hunt with a crossbow.

5. stanleybows

stanleybows Newb

Dislikes Received:
    First off, I'd take a step back. Is your dad a first time crossbow user? If so, any particular reason you are opting for the Bonecollector? That's a $500 crossbow and you can get a significantly cheaper crossbow than that. For example, the Blitz II by Arrow Precision is half the price and comes with a rope cocking device. Horton makes very good crossbows but you also pay for it. Just my two cents, but I'm of the opinion that newbies should invest low and buy bargain-priced archery equipment when starting out.

6. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My brothers and I got Dad a Barnett Wildcat C5 2 years ago. It didn't break the bank, but seems to be good quality. He loves it. We're pretty satisfied that it was a good investment.

7. Samillion

Samillion Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Caution , patience and focus! There a lot of fun enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD