What a Richard, ccw gone bad.

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Lastoneout, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  2. Lastoneout

Dislikes Received:
    He tried to say it multiple times and was cut off. I personally had to do this once while carrying in NC and the officer couldn't have cared less. Personally I think you shouldn't have to inform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah that was a couple of years ago with a huge lawsuit following.

4. Lastoneout

Dislikes Received:
    Ya I've followed it just didn't see it on here. That "officer" gives all police a bad name.

5. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I run into firearms all the time. I personally have no problem with it and just remain calm, in or out of uniform. It is real simple. You see a firearm and you go on alert. Then you remain calm and inquire. If you have a feeling the guy is a felon or things may get nasty then get mentally prepared to fill him with holes, then wait until backup arrives and run him to see if he is a felon. If everything is cool, you thank the guy for remaining calm and even thank him for protecting the community if he has a ccw permit and move on.

Short story from me...about 10 years ago I was on my way home from work. I got stopped due to a traffic infraction by college campus police. I go to get my registration and I had left a single bladed fishing knife in the glove box(not considered a concealed weapon in VA) and the senior officer on scene drew down on me with his gun and started yelling at me, threatening me to take me to jail for a concealed weapon. I admit I was rattled, yet remained composed and stated to him I could not believe a simple one bladed fishing knife would be considered a concealed weapon because if so, about 100,000 Virginians would be subject to being arrested as they drove each day. He didn't like that response and acted like he was going to open the car door. Luckily, another cool headed campus cop stopped him, and then leaned over to me quietly and intimated to me the guy was a real richard. I told the other officer if I had been illegally arrested there was going to be a huge problem. He then told me I was free to go.

6. Lastoneout

Dislikes Received:
    Brett I see what your saying. When you are on the job caution is everything.

If you can obtain a CHP 8/10 you are good to go.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  7. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What is this idiot doing/saying all this when he KNOWS his dash cam is recording every word and minute of this? He's a roid-raging debagg. Ohio cops are the worst.

I have two buddies that are feds (one is black, the other white.) Both of them have been pulled over by Ohio state troops (separate incidents) and identified as off duty LEOs, provided their creds, and advised they were as carrying. Both of them were ordered to surrender their weapon while the troops ran their DLs and called their supervisor. One refused to turn over his weapon... it very nearly ended badly.

Anyway; while I am inclined to believe the people in the car were up to no good, I didn't see anything that rose to PC to search that car w/o consent. And to do so w/o removing everyone from the vehicle first??? Have any of these cops had even 5 minutes of training?

From start to finish, this is a police training video of what NOT to do. I hope Big Boss Man lost his badge.

8. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That cop has a bad case of God complex...hopefully the jackwagon lost his job over that.

9. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, this video has been around a while and I'm sure a lot of LEO agencies have used it in their training.

I don't mind a DTI when asked, but having to do so without being questioned leads to this with your barney bad asses.

Only reason I say when asked is because 9 out of 10 if not 10 out of 10 times the LEO knows you have a carry permit. I have nothing to lie about when legal. But, in a situation like that the ego gets in the way of being able to inform.

10. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Certain States you have to notify others you don't.
    Missouri you don't have to notify, but you must show your ccw permit if asked.
    I just encourage people that take my classes to go ahead and inform the officer for several reasons.
    1. When ours was handled by the DMV, the officer new as soon as your plate was read.Plus your in the M.U.L.E.S. database.
    2. Your offering up information and eliminating surprises.
    3. Cops hate surprises.
    4. Surprises lead to arguments, you will not win an argument on the side of the road with a LEO...........ever.

Every encounter I have had with a cop while carrying and upon notifying the officer such, it seemed to ease a little tension after he got to the door. Not sure for him but it did for me.
    Every LEO I know absolutely hates night time traffic stops.

And as of yet I've never had a bad experience.
    Had one deputy jokingly say " you don't touch yours, I won't touch mine"
    Some have even asked what type of pistol I was carrying and how I liked it.

Which reminds me, I'm taking a vehicle defense class tomorrow. I gotta sleep.

11. Lastoneout

Dislikes Received:
    If it's on my hip I don't inform
    Unless required. If it's In sight I tell them. I keep a holster in between my seat and center console for extended travel.

12. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing wrong with handing your carry permit over with your DL if you choose. But if not required by law to state such, there's no inclination to say you're carrying or not carrying. Regardless of any beliefs, once the officer runs the plates or name of the offender he'll be informed whether the individual is considered armed. Legally,or if or charges/suspicions, illegally.

Yeah, every cop is supposed to approach every situation as if the detainee is armed etc., but at the same time, every detainee isn't going to be armed. There's a lot that goes into a stop and why someone is being stopped. More times than not the Officer has radioed in enough information to know whether the occupant/owner of the vehicle is a threat or potential offender. It also informs them of a missing/stolen car situation as well. Sure, sometimes there is the surprise stop where things go wrong, but in the average day and situation they are few and far between.

During a normal stop, with a normal law abiding citizen, there should be no concern what so ever about criminal or negligent use of a firearm.

Tell when asked or offer up when identifying yourself, but to bring an unnecessary unknown into the equation is only asking for a heightened alert stop.

13. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wow thats the first time I've seen that video. That kind of behavior from LEO will do noting more than fuel the fire for those whom do not understand how important LE really is.