Western Hunting Thread

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Backcountry, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In the 6ish years I have been a member here there has never been a large Western crowd. Lately, though, it seems that more and more residents of the west are joining and even more of the eastern guys are heading west.

I thought it would be a cool idea to create a thread where all of our preparations, gear questions, and hunts can be collaborated. I know Trevor has a hell of a trip ahead of him and Paul and Coheley are in the process of planning their trip out to CO for elk.

So here it is:
    Where are you hunting and for what?
    What Gear questions do you have?
    How are you getting in shape and prepared?

Attached Files:

2. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So here it is:
    Wyoming for elk, pronghorn, whitetail, mule deer, and turkey.

None yet. So far, only addition was a pack.

Nothing special to get in shape. I have to be in reasonable shape for the military. Preparation includes honing my skills learning back tension and shooting 3-D.

3. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be headed back for my annual Elk trip opening weekend in CO.

It's taken me several years to get the gear I've wanted. After I order my SG pack I'll be good for a little while.

Ive been hiking an mountain biking so far. Will start carrying weight on my hikes soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

4. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    As most of you guys know I live and hunt in MT

Bear and turkey season will open on 4/15. Ill likely not be able to hunt bear until the middle of may but I'll be going deeper than I ever have.

Antelope opens on 8/15 and I may make my way east for that. never tried it with a bow.

Elk and deer general open on 9/6. Can't wait for elk hunting this year. All I ever think about it.

If luck pulls my way I may also have a Bighorn Ewe tag this year as well. Fingers crossed!!

I have been running on the elliptical and once our two feet of snow melts I will begin hikes with 50+ pounds in the pack.

5. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    We do have the "Big Game Forum" which is pretty much everything but whiteys :D

I live in Wyoming and I hunt everyday from 8/15-??? for goats, muley, whitey, elk, moose, etc. Very few of those days are for me :D

6. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The only big game tag I have drawn so far this year is WY elk and that's what my main focus will be going into fall so that will probably affect how many other tags I aggressively go after. Maybe a combined antelope pre-hunt scouting trip to WY? Or possibly mule deer...

I'm working on putting together a new rig so that's my current project...

7. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My finalized plans altered a little bit due to dates for this fall. Had to cancel my Colorado Mule Deer plans which was originally my number one goal, but doubling the length of Moose float was a nice consolation prize.

Aug 22- Aug 30 WY Antelope (ground blinds and spot/stalk)

Aug 31- Sept 5 South Central AK Black Bear (spot/stalk along salmon strings dodging the brown bears)

Sept 6- Sept 21 Western AK Moose Float Hunt (15 days rafting, two guys two moose tags and TWO brown bear tags)

Sept 22- Oct 12 (or seasons end, whichever comes sooner) Western MT Elk (calling, spot/stalk, heck anything short of sacrificing life and limb to kill one)

Oct 12 - Dec 1 Western MT Whitetails/Mulies (Will be working in MT for this time period, so will have 7-8 weekends to hunt)

By then I will be broke and too tired to walk up the next hill anyway so it will be back east to finish up my last few months of rotations before earning my degree and finally hitting the real world.

My main area to learn a lot this year is mapping. Clueless about online mapping/GPS technology for the most part. Will have laminated topos of each planned hunting area before I head out, but hope to be up to speed with my GPS to maximize its capabilities by then too.

8. Ferahgo

Ferahgo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    White Tail and Elk.

Best trail cams?

practicing archery every chance possible.

9. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    1. Elk in CO.

2. Funny you should ask. I was about to buy a MSR pocket rocket stove, the guy at REI said, are you sure you won't have trouble lighting it in the altitude? I thought that was probably a good question. So, I need a mini-stove without issues lighting in the altitude.

3. Working out doing the P90x routine.
    Going to the range at least ever other day, shooting 5 arrows at a time, for 20-25 rounds.
    Studying topo maps. (By the way Tembry, there are some really good Youtube videos on maps)
    running 3 miles ever other day (the days I don't go to the range)
    Ordered some supplements to help me put on strength.

I'm obsessed.

I've been getting pointers from some of the old guys at the club, here's the difference in my shooting in a matter of a couple of days. I still manage to screw the pooch on one of the 5 arrows. I can't consistently get 5 in the bullseye. It's psychological at this point. :)

IMG_1183.jpg IMG_1200.jpg

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  10. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Plan for September 2015 Elk hunt in Montana

Give me the must haves for a week long elk hunt. Bivy or having a truck as basecamp.

Nothing yet, just looking at the tags and will start getting my points up. Buying gear is also slow and steady progress. Im in pretty good shape but my feet have been giving me problems lately, so Ill eventually start running/hiking. Also, been reading elknut forum and bought some dvds for calling elk.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  11. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    Couldn't tell you. My lovely state does not allow use of them during season so I have never put much thought to them. I know a lot of guys like the coverts. Bushnell's mini cams are also nice.

I have a Snow Peak stove LiteMax Ti and have never had an issue getting it lit. Granted, the highest I have had it lit was at 8K. I doubt you'll have an issue.
    Snow Peak LiteMax Stove - Free Shipping at REI.com

Thats a tough one to answer without an exuberant amount of explanation. Check out Pauls thread, great info in there.
    http://forums.bowhunting.com/bowhunting-talk/58204-any-advice-elk-hunting-montana-colorado-15.html

12. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well not as exciting as some but I am put in for Elk (waiting on draw results) and running down muleys and some white tails. I am a Buck a holic and can't wait to get back into the field.
    Mostly been gearing up the last two years and am 90% but there is always issues to address. I need a bivy sack and a new tent.
    I shoot often and with my pack. I am not an ultra athlete anymore and do keep fit.
    Future goals down the road include travel for Elk and Muley Bucks.
    I am only looking at Muleys currently.

13. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well in the spring and winter I will be in TX trying to get turkey, deer and hog
    Then the main one wil be elk in CO
    I am still poking around on what things I will be able to borrow from my neighbors and what I am going to buy.
    As far as getting in shape I consider my self to be in fairly good shape but once the snow melts and warms up a little bit i will be kicking my self into gear with loaded down hikes, mt biking, bleachers, and who knows what else. Shooting at the 3d range once a week then will be back to shooting daily once it get nicer outside

14. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm chasing mule deer this year. My gear question would how to divy up a deer camp between three guys and what gear would you bring? I'll be hitting the bike this spring and summer and lots of hiking and camping in the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. brazel_dazel

brazel_dazel Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    New Wyoming-ite here!

I am planning a couple spring turkey hunts back across the border into western NE (my home state) this year. Additionally here in cowboy country I am planning a Pronghorn hunt in August, and my first ever spot n' stalk Mule deer hunt. I am new to the sport and haven't even gotten my first bowkill yet! Unless you count hundreds of carp taken with my bowfishing set-up.

I have been running as the weather allows. I plan on starting to lift and run daily once the weather improves as well. Also, I shoot everyday, if the weather is horrible then I just shoot in my house and try to work on trigger release and other form issues.

16. FullTimeKiller

FullTimeKiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    1. Like always i will be hunting in BC - in the spring fingers crossed, for grizzly and i did purchase a black bear tag the other day in case i see a nice old boar :tu:
    By the time august rolls around i once again hope to be chasing stone sheep in northern BC in a bow only zone. All together have hunted +/- 25 days for sheep since 2010, but no luck arrowing a ram yet, this may be the year! If time allows it i would also love to go after a mountain goat again.
    I have to many hunts i would love to go on, as of now my prioraties are 1. Stone Sheep 2. Grizzly 3. Muley, Moose

2. Was thinking about purchasing a spot hogg single pin sight for mountain hunting. I was hoping someone could help me out by explaing how they are to setup? Are they easy to use? How far can you shoot with them? Any info on the sights would be helpful and appreciated. Was thinking the hogg father single pin sight.

3. Need to start doing some running up mountain trails to get in shape, also hiking with a pack with some weight, just to get used to carrying a heavy pack again, and of course shoot as much as possible, to be confident at many different yardages.

17. CowboyColby

CowboyColby Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hogs in Texas.

Colorado
    Mule deer
    Elk
    Pronghorn
    Black Bear

To get in shape I do lots of twelve ounce curls

A buddy had a jet boil last time in Colorado while elk hunting and he had no problems with it. I'm looking into getting one this year plus a water filter. My new pack came in too

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  18. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What's a good GPS?

I have some apps on my phone but I just hate using it. Now that I am hunting more public land and eventually the West, it gives me a good reason to get one.

19. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Garmin 62s

20. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    Has been discontinued and replace with the 64 series.

If you want a touch screen check out the Oregon series from Garmin. Any handheld other than garmin is a waste of money.