Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

went shed hunting and...

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by yeahsmitty, Feb 12, 2013.

1. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure how to react to this new information.....100 yards isn't very far from last blood. I'd suspect that under the right conditions a hunter could hear a buck crash if he went down within 200 yards of the shot. Just my opinion. In 2 hours I'm certain I could cover a 200 yard radius from my tree and recover the deer.

Next time try walking circles from the direction you saw the deer last headed.

2. SWitchBacKXT

SWitchBacKXT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Was he found in 10 foot grass??

3. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I call bullchit a retarded monkey could have found that deer in less time.

4. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Mission accomplished.

5. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Rough crowd but I have to agree with them it sounds like a half *** job trying to recover the deer. A two hour search, couple hundred yard trail... Doesn't seem to be any thing insurmountable. Only thing lacking it seems was the effort.

On a side note, I really hate these threads where people post to show off a deer that wasn't recovered in a timely fashion. I may sound like an *** for saying it but I feel like a lot of times the poster wants props for killing the deer even though they never recovered it.
    And it seems to work, you see post like" that sucks but at least you know what happened to him" or " at least I have the rack" ect ect ...I am paraphrasing.
    Then the other side of coin is a post like I made above, lack of effort ect ect....and to some it comes off as overly critical.

My point is to think before posting a thread like because what can you accomplish by it. If your looking for advise then there is no real reason to post, you should have gave it to yourself when you found the deer 200 yards away...next time don't quit so easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  6. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've spent longer than this trying to find a tv remote.

Congrats on getting the rack.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

7. FearNot

FearNot Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice buck.... Tough Luck

8. Born2Hunt

Born2Hunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Its nice that found him now at least you will always have a story to tell

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

9. yeahsmitty

yeahsmitty Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I did not start this thread to get props. This was my first shot on a deer and it was my first time tracking one too. I had no clue what to do as far as tracking it and the guys i went with were pretty experienced with the subject and didn't really let me do any of the work. If i had the access to the property,i would've looked longer for sure. When i walked up to find his remains laying there,it felt like i was walking up on a crime scene. This has definitely been a huge learning experience.

10. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good to hear you came away with the right take on things. That's all anyone can ask. Stick around this place and I am sure you will pick up some know how from guys that been at it awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That blows but you now have him. Congrats on find.

12. rizzo999

rizzo999 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Lost a nice buck 9/20/12 in WI. I looked .5 hr that evening before jumping him. I decided to back out 'til morning. Looked for over 12 hours the next day (sunrise-sunset) in pouring rain. I even contacted a local BH.com member (Trevor Olsen) to see if he could help out. As of today that buck has not been found. I never got him again on trail cams, landowner's kids never found him, neighbors never found or saw him and I have not stumpled upon his remains.

At least you have closure to what happened to him. Good luck next time and ignore some of the comments in response. I have had deer go down much less than 100 yds from me and never heard them. Of course that might be from playing drums and shooting guns without ear protection for years.... :biggun:

13. yeahsmitty

yeahsmitty Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Update: Went shed hunting in the same location this weekend and found another dead buck. This one looked as if it had been dead for over a year now. It's kinda sad because it was a pretty big one. It was in a giant thicket so it was probably shot by one of the neighbors and was never recovered. Never found any sheds though. image.jpg

I went to another location i hunt later that day to take down stands and check/take down my trail camera for the season and found one yearling shed. image (1).jpg