Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

went shed hunting and...

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by yeahsmitty, Feb 12, 2013.

1. yeahsmitty

yeahsmitty Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i found the buck i shot and thought that he lived. i shot him in October and we blood trailed him for 2 hours till we finally gave up. Feel kinda bad for not going back the next day but what can ya do. i still got a nice trophy out of it. found him on 02/09 image (1).jpg image (2).jpg image.jpg

2. PCO50

PCO50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Kinda sucks that you didn't find him that day. But at least you found some sort of closure to what happened to him. Would suck not knowing if he lived or died.

3. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    2 hours? Wow...

4. yeahsmitty

yeahsmitty Newb

Dislikes Received:
    when i first walked up to him, i wasnt sure if it was him or not. but finding my arrow helped solve the case.

5. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Okay first I gotta say it as one sportsman to another:

2 HOURS IS NOT ENOUGH. We owe more than just a fleating two hour hunt for a deer. I lost a doe this year and we spent 8 hours the day I shot it, then my father even went back for another quick search the next day...tore me apart I lost her. I did that for a doe...if a buck I'd probably looked even harder, sadly I'll admit that.

Secondly, congrats it does put an end on the story and at least like stated you know what happened now.

6. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    2 hours = Lazy.

Trust me on this one. Learned many a lesson here, and in real life about tracking deer. You CAN find them if you WANT to.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

7. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great deer.... good luck on this thread.

8. yeahsmitty

yeahsmitty Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I agree that two hours wasn't enough time to look! At the time i wasn't allowed on the property without my gf's father going with me. They did all the tracking even though it was my first shot at a deer and possibly my first kill. I was the "last sign of blood marker" which made me a little upset but it was my first time and i didn't know any better. From now on I will do the tracking and take as much time as it takes to find it.

9. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I pray people will be civil and not jerks. I feel sportsman to sportsman we do need to hold eachother accountable, but there is very tasteful ways of doing it :)

I agree it is a great deer.

10. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    If this is the case I'd try and have a conversation about it with the family. If proper time can't be dedicated to looking for a deer shot I'd want to know just their reasoning and go from there. I do think you did right if you simply didn't have permission to be on the property without someone...hands tied for sure. I'd probably have tried to fight it more, but hey your young in the game and learn things with each hunt and experience.

11. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^^Exact same thing happened to me this year. Well almost exact looked for 2.5 days for my doe I hit. To no avail :( still bummed about it.

Definitely use this as a learning experience and next time put as much effort into the search u can. Very nice buck btw.

12. spoof

spoof Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Least ya found him. I woulda been searchin for a week! But I understand the circumstances that may have been presented to you.

13. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We have learned our lesson the past few years, the only way they are going to get away now Is if they don't die or get to a property we don't have access too. And 2 hours is by far not long enough, we have spent longer times on animals that are hit good, and the buck I hit this year I spend over 12 hours in two days trying to find.

14. Tim Ainsworth

Tim Ainsworth BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    haha.... well said! I'm Glad you found the deer. Keep at it! you'll learn a ton of new stuff each year along the way!

15. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Like many have said 2 hours just isn't enough time but being a newb and other circumstances I think you deserve a pass on this one. As long as you've learned something. Every time I track a deer I learn something, let us know what you have learned and maybe the brain trust here can tell if you are on the right track. "no pun intended".
    The buck I shot last year I spent 6 hours the day I shot it looking for it, then I went out with dogs with help from a forum member a day later. In those 2 days I spent over 12 hours looking for that deer. I got the deer on camera again a week later so I put all my attention back in to getting that deer. I saw him one other time a month later with no shot, after the gun season I tried finding his location again and that's when I found him dead.

Lesson is never give up until you have exhausted all possibilities. Good luck

16. yeahsmitty

yeahsmitty Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This definitely was a learning experience and i know what to do in the future.

17. Just Passin thru

Just Passin thru Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Cool that you found him! I lost a buck as well, but a trespasse took the head when we finally found him.

18. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How far was he from where you stopped looking?

Nice deer

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

19. yeahsmitty

yeahsmitty Newb

Dislikes Received:
    he was about 200 yards from where i shot him,and about 100 yards from where we saw last blood.

20. Crossbow Jared

Crossbow Jared Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received: