Well this is new to me...

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by oldnotdead, Jun 4, 2019.

1. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Man it got cold out last night , had a frost warning. So I glassed the farmers field to see if things looked frosty when a group of turkey rounded the tree line. Not a few but a flock of 7 hens and a couple of Toms.
    I have never seen a flock this time of year. Pre breeding and fall. Group of Toms but never a group of hens like this.

2. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Frost warning this time of year? Obviously you don't live in the South. My father was from eastern Ohio. Told me of having an inch of snow on the morning of Mother's Day.

3. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    No, we are in the finger lake hills of NY. Weather is different here for sure. We got dumped on with snow the first week in Oct. But I really find it funny that just a half mile down the road the cherries blossom sometimes 2 weeks earlier than the ones here at the house each spring.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My lilacs bloomed last week that is about 2-1/2 to 3 weeks late. Last snow we had was May 8th.

5. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    So did ours Sorta.
    Though has anyone ever notice turkey flocking ,hens,during what should be the late end of the breeding season and what should be the brooding stage? Not once have I seen this before. 1 or 2 hens feeding before going to nest but never 7 in a group with Toms. Thats an April thing.

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You shot the last tom, or with the bad weather all the eggs laid perished.

7. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Lol, I definitely didn't shoot the last Tom, we've had several great long beards on cams and there was one good one with those hen. I expected tat we'd see a nesting fail,we've seen that many times over the years. Though the hens usually stay single or paired with one other hen as tey start to renest. This ends in us having pairs of hens during the summer with rather tiny chicks mid summer. Then in the fall they flock up again before heading down hill. I believe tey head for the pines but some of the swamps. I think those areas stay warmer and have more winter feed access. This helps those young chicks survive..