Well my friend bailed on our hunting trip

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by AdamC, Sep 21, 2015.

1. AdamC

AdamC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I guess DIY is going to be just that at the last minute my partner had family things to deal with. We were headed to SE MN right on the buffalo co. Wisc border to chase big white tails . Well I don't care I'm going even if it is by myself. It will just leave that much more sleeping room in the tent lol. How many people like to go hunting for a few days on their own? Come hell or high water I'm leaving tomorrow and not coming home till I shoot a monster lol! I unfortunately have to be back to work next Tuesday.

2. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I put off hunting solo as long as I could, but I found that I had the most success by myself.

3. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear that.
    I've had that happen before too. It is safer to have someone with you but I've gone solo many times. Be careful and good luck!

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer the solo hunt, more satisfying.

5. Jpeeples

Jpeeples Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Solo would suit me better as well. I go backpacking and have some pretty light/durable gear. I find that I can connect with nature better alone. I suggest leaving a map or your hunting plans at home in case something happens people will know a general location to find you.

Have fun and good luck

6. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Id go by myself as well. Take lots of pics and be safe. It may be trip of a lifetime. Good luck and keep us updated.

7. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My hunting partner is 5 hours away. So almost all of my hunting is solo sadly. But, it still can be a lot of fun man. Make some memories and put a beast on the ground to rub in his face!!!

8. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bummer. Good luck.

A lot of what I enjoy about hunting is spending time with good friends and/or family. I would still go, but I would enjoy it more if I was sharing the experience with friends or family.

9. chewy

chewy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I hate when a plan falls through but family always comes first, good luck and be safe on the hunt

10. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd much rather actually hunt solo but going on a trip, I'd much rather be with a buddy.

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think it would be nice to share a camp with someone at times, but I don't want to have to compromise what I want to do because of them. That's why I am pretty much a lone hunter. I've buddy hunted a few times, but I honestly have preferred the buddy do what he wants and I do what I want.

12. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting with someone and hunting alone both have their pros and cons. If you do hunt alone, bring a book or whatever to keep you entertained when you're not hunting. The downtime goes extra slow when you're alone.

13. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As kids and career obligations start to take precedent over hunting with my buddies and I it's getting harder to coordinate schedules and I find myself flying solo more now than before. I enjoy being alone in the woods, but it is nice to have a buddy with you at times.

14. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've went on my trip to Ohio the past 2 years solo, I got tired of trying to get people to commit. So I said screw it and went....and enjoyed the hell out of it.

This year's trip to Wisconsin, I admit I'm pumped to hunt with someone. Even if it is Brad...:evilgrin:

15. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This happened to me last week. Going to Ohio for opening weekend this weekend solo now. The safety thing has my wife worried so I'm giving her as much info as possible. I hunt locally solo almost 100%. My hunting buddy is serious but not near as anal as I am and I find myself compromising when he's there. So I plan to shoot a stud this weekend alone!

16. rangerFGM

rangerFGM Newb

Dislikes Received:
    as I get older I lose patience w/ other peoples schedule ..... theres few reliable people in my circle when it comes to hunting and as the season progresses the circle gets smaller and smaller ..... I have better success by myself ..... this is also true around May when its Striped Bass season .... these days I launch my 21 foot boat myself and recover it myself ..... if someone calls me ill gladly invite them but I don't call anyone anymore .... rather just go out hunting

17. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I used to prefer to hunt alone but as I've gotten older I like some company. It is safer and most my areas involve an hour walk to the stand with no roads so getting a deer out alone is a hassle. I still end up hunting alone most of the time due to my buddies not having the time off I do or not being as committed as I am.

18. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've done both and I much rather share the memories with people close to me. But i'll still go alone if it comes down to it. lol

19. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There's pros and cons to both sides of this scenario. Make the best of what you have, enjoy the timber, and be safe. Good luck!