Weatherproofing cameras??

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by Jake/PA, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The biggest problem I’ve had with cameras failing is moisture getting inside. It seems like it’s only getting worse with newer cameras.

So I’m wondering if any of you have a way to protect the cameras from rain whether thats some kind of roof or resealing it with something.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You can make some cheap covers with milk jugs. I leave all mine out 24-7 365 with no issues. I only take them out of the woods maybe once a year when the river gets high. That's maybe 3 to 7 days a year. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you go on the homebrew supply websites, such as snapshotsniper.com, they sell gaskets that are just for that purpose. They are very cheap at only a couple of bucks. It's also a good idea to put those absorb packs inside the camera. Those can be bought on Amazon and I believe those are very cheap as well.

Blessings..........Pastorjim

4. IndianaArcher

IndianaArcher Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  5. ruteger

ruteger Guest

-

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2020
  6. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I leave mine out for weeks untouched and still have the issue. But yes, there are some companies that have a seperate battery compartment which is a step in the right direction. The Browning cams, which is what I use mostly, have the small door, but it's still not weatherproof. There's always a small pool of water on the inside of the door with the bottom of my SD card sitting in it.

7. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hmmm. Totally ignorant about trail cams but wanting to learn. Would the small silica packs that you get with imported stuff fit inside?

8. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not inside the camera but if you put your camera in the metal box, (they call them bear boxes most of the time), it could be wedged in there. I really hadn't thought of this before reading the thread but it would probably help to put some gasket grease on the rubber around the door. In hot dry climates like where I'm at it would probably help it last longer. I should probably do that with mine.

The only camera I've had fail was a Stealth Cam a year or so back. But it was because I left batteries in it while storing for the summer and they leaked. Totally my fault. Haven't made that mistake again.